What kind of carbs are refried beans?

Jane2008
on 1/14/09 8:02 am - WI
I am only 1 week out from surgery. My dietitian said that we should try to get no more than 10g of carbs in a meal, not counting veggies and fruit. So, what kind of carbs are in non-fat refried beans? Do I need to keep a close eye on those numbers for beans as well?

lucystarr2006
on 1/14/09 10:29 pm - WI
WELCOME BACK!!! How are you doing? How did the surgery and 1st week go for you.
I believe they use the refried beans as a protein source.
Jane2008
on 1/17/09 12:50 pm - WI
Hey there!!! I'm getting along ok. I don't feel super yet, but better than when I was in the recovery room. LOL This sure is an interesting experience. It is like having our first baby. How is everything going for you? Let me know....Jane

JoyceB
on 1/17/09 8:51 am - IL
refried beans were a post-op stable for me when I was cleared to soft foods.  They are a good protein source, good in fiber and are a complex carbohydrate (not a simple carb).  When looking at carb counts, some of the carbs will be fiber, which is good.  In general,  I look at the sugar count as the most important carb number and try to keep that under 10. 

day of surgery - 296      current goal - 195      highest ('98) - est'd 320
Jane2008
on 1/17/09 12:48 pm - WI
Thank you so much for the reponse Joyce. Your tip on the sugars was very helpful. Good luck you! Jane

fluffynomore
on 1/21/09 5:47 am - Destin, FL
Hi, I am three weeks out today from Lap RNY and I am having them tonight with some sharp cheese and a little light sour cream.  I found them on my list of protien and they are awesome.
Best of luck to you. 
iisme
on 1/21/09 11:13 am
Tomorrow will me 2 weeks out for me. I had them for dinner with light sour cream too

10 pounds loss pre-op
Most Active