Caffeine Question

oneangelady
on 1/8/09 4:26 am - aztec, NM
I am not a soda drinker, nor am I a coffee drinker, so caffeine has not really been much of an issue.  However, I have been craving iced tea.  When I make it at home, I make the decaf, but very rarely I would like to enjoy an iced tea during the day at work.  Since it's a rarity, will I be ok with the caffeine intake?  I'm 5 1/2 weeks post op.  On a normal day I drink water, propel, G2, sugar free kool-aids or sf juices.  I know we are to cut out the caffeine but will this occassional treat hurt my new pouchy??? 

THanks,
Carol
debbieposner
on 1/8/09 7:17 am
Of course it's OK. Just drink a little extra water. There is caffeine in tea, but only about a third as much--and it's not as if you're drinking this all day long.

robin91
on 1/10/09 11:27 pm
Why is it they don't want post op patients having caffiene anyway?
grammatractor
on 1/12/09 4:25 am - Celina, OH
I was told not to have more than one cup of regular coffee because it has a diuretic effect and you could become dehydrated.
robin91
on 1/12/09 4:29 am
Makes sense - thanks.
rainbowconnection
on 1/12/09 11:18 pm - houston, TX
I was a huge Cocacola drinker before bypass sugery.  Luckily I also love water bu****er gets boring so I make me own fun, lol.  I drink water with orange slices and one packet of truvia (any fruit will do, even cucumber). I do this alot at restaurants and if they don't have oranges I make lemonade.  I also drink Republic of Tea, pomegranate green tea is my favorite.  Here is a link to their iced teas http://www.republicoftea.com/templates/directory.asp?navID=2 8 .  You can also buy their iced teas on tap (like a box of wine).  At first I refused to pay that much for tea but then I came to two realizations.  One I kept reaching for that Coke bc I wanted it and it was cold and ready to go.  Two I don't drink that much anymore so I usually drink about one bottles worth of tea each day and sub in milk and water for the rest of my fluids.  It seems to be working out just fine.  I am down 72 pounds in 4 months, woohooo. 
bgigliello
on 1/13/09 3:47 am
I make decaf Iced tea at work. I make a cup of ho****er with 2 decaf tea bags, let it steep for 3 min the pour it over a large glass of ice and add sweetener. It is so good.  Every once in a while I can find Crystal lite decaf iced tea with lemon but not very often.  You can also get Lipton instant iced tea with sweetener and lemon...so yummy. 
tjchez
on 2/11/09 11:59 am
Carol,
I drink tea all day and have not had a problem.  You will be fine as long as you drink water to offset the tea.  I drink on glass tea and 2 water.  Also Caffeine is a diuretic and it can dehydrate you. Tammara
Most Active