Quick Question about Protein

Mrs. Scarlet
on 1/1/09 4:12 am - KS

Hello All! I was wondering if any of you know what TYPE of protein our bodies get the most use out of?  Is it Whey, Soy, Casein, egg or what??  LOL   I am sick of the sweet protein drinks and have found some good links to bulk unflavored protein so I can add it to anything..I just don't want to waste a lot of money on something that works "So-So"..lol.  Thanks for your info!

isaiah54mom
on 1/1/09 9:08 am - bartlesville, OK
Hey Gurl!!!! Happy new year I am glad to see you posting. I don't have an answer but I had to hollah at you cuz u were on my mind. Dr. Stewart gets his shot at me on 1/29. Show me how its done girlfriend  you will be a month out when i am going in.
Peace Mz Jojo

HW/ SW/CW/GW
427+/427/148/150

Mrs. Scarlet
on 1/2/09 11:37 am - KS
Hey there!  I'm still not on very often yet, I'm still so darn tired! lol   But thank you so much for the thoughts!  I had my fist post-op today and everything is looking fine!  I will tell you about my surgery AFTER your surgery.....lol.  You will be just fine!  
Pam T.
on 1/2/09 12:03 am - Saginaw, MI
"Unflavored" doesn't mean tasteless .... so even if you add it to various foods, it's going to change the taste and texture of that original food.  I would suggest getting some to try before you buy a bulk package.  I believe Unjury sells samples of their unflavored whey isolate.  You can also look into BeneProtein, it's basically the same stuff. 

As for which is the best.  I would suggest doing a bit of research on BV - Biological Value.  This a measurement of how much of different proteins are used in the body based on a scale of 100.  This can help you determine the best protein ... not just supplements, but also food-based sources too.

Whey Isolate Protein is the highest quality protein supplement (BV=100 or 104) and is most easily absorbed in our bodies.  In fact, it's been shown that Whey protein absorbs and is used by cells within 45 minutes of eating it.  Isolate has been manufacturered to remove all fat and lactose from the milk base.  Whey Concentrate Protein is probably the next highest in quality ... there is still a small amount of fat and lactose (1g to 4g each) but it is still very highly absorbed by the body.

Egg Protein is also high but it's not exactly .... delicious.  It doesn't mix will in water and is said to be lumpy and gritty.  Same with soy protein.  But if you can't tolerate whey, then these are your two best options.

Casein (BV=77) is a very poor quality protein and should be avoided.  It's basically a milk protein - same as drinking a glass of milk - but in a concentrated formula.  There's some studies that show casein is the root of many health issues when used in excess.  Also when you hear of people who are on gluten-free diets, they are often avoiding casein too becuase they have many of the same properties. 

I have found that cooking with protein powder helps eliminate the "sweetness" factor.  I've been hooked lately on baked steel cut oatmeal (recipe in my blog) and have been adding protein powder to the recipe.  Also check Eggface's blog for various high-protein recipes, she often adds protein powder to her mixes too.

Good luck
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Mrs. Scarlet
on 1/2/09 11:35 am - KS
Thank you Pam, I am not on here very often yet..and your right about the NO flavor...lol.  I bought some at GNC and added it to my V8.  I ended up with vanilla flavored V8..lol.   Thank you SO much for the info....it is VERY helpful!
Most Active