i need to know...

Mistymystique
on 12/29/08 12:06 pm

I am 11 days out of RNY I am on the full liquids, I don't know how long I suppose to be on this portion or what all or even most of my options are I am having sf jello, sf pudding, cream soup, and sf popscicles, I just feel lost and I had surgery with a doc 3 hrs away and did all of my dietician stuff here but don't really feel like I am "welcome" to go back to the clinic, if this doesn't make sense I am sorry.

Mistymystique       

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.
--
Douglas Adams

Roacharama
on 12/29/08 12:23 pm
Hi there,

I had surgery almost the same day as you -- 12/17/08.  I'd be happy to tell you what my doctor has said about what I can eat.  He's one of the top surgeons in the US and was one of the founders of laproscopic surgery. 

We can start soft, mushy foods on Wednesday (that's tomorrow for you!).  It needs to be soft or pureed: 
1. animal protein (tuna, salmon, chicken, ham...)  You can mix with mayo, salad dresing, etc (no celery or onion!)
2. eggs - scrambled, soft-boiled, egg salad (use low or non fat mayo)
3.  dairy products - low fat cheeses, light yogurt, skim milk, etc.  no whole mil**** cream, cream, etc.
4.  Legumes -- beans, lentils and peas
5.  carbohydrates -- mashed potatoes, oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc. (in moderation)
6.  Vegetables - mashed squared, pureed carrots, etc.
7. Fruits - applesauce, pureeed fruit, mashed banana
8.  Crispy food (ones that will disintegrate if you place them in a glass of water -- like crackers or well-toasted bread.

You should have 1 protein drink per day (I like the EAS Advantage in Chocolate).

At week 3 you should start a chewable vitamin 2 per day -- the only supplements you will be taking at this time are your protein drink and your chewable vitamins.  All other supplements begin at week 8.

Hope this helps!!!! 
wendy_fou
on 12/29/08 12:49 pm - AR

Here is the diet I was given when I went home. 

You will go home on Sugar Free Fat Free Full Liquids

Post Op Day 6: Begin Gastric By-Pass Soft Diet (Weeks 1-4) & prescribed vitamins.

Weeks 1-4: Do not attempt raw fruits with peel, seeds or membranes, raw vegetables, or any meat that has not been ground to a puree-like consistency (no exceptions!).  PORTION SIZE= 1-2 TABLESPOONS PER MEAL

Week 5: You may now begin adding meat (make sure that meat is ground and that it is very moist) and toasted whole wheat bread. You must also begin calcium supplement (we will tell you what kind at your post op visit) which you MUST take FOREVER!  PORTION SIZE= 2-4 TABLESPOONS PER MEAL

Week 6: You may now begin lean thinly sliced meats- ASK FOR SERVING SIZE, CALORIES, FAT & PROTEIN

Week 8 & Beyond: You may now reintroduce raw vegetables, bread, and other lean meats with caution.  PORTION SIZE= 4-6 TABLESPOONS PER MEAL

NEVER GO OVER 8 TABLESPOONS PER MEAL. 

wendy_fou
on 12/29/08 1:01 pm - AR

Here was the soft diet list I was given.

The Bariatric Soft Diet

The soft diet should begin about six days after surgery. You should remain on this diet 4 weeks.

The fo
llowing is a list of soft textured foods for you to try one at a time. Chew your foods to a mushy consistency. Continue with recommended liquids between meals.

(* = Good protein sources)

*Non-fat cottage cheese
*Non-fat, sugar-free yogurt
*Non-fat and low-fat cheeses
*skim milk. (Flavored cereals contain sugar.)

Soggy cold cereals which are fat-free and not sugar coated.

*Smooth peanut butter until you begin to eat meat (Peanut butter contains sugar and is high in calories) - we recommend natural peanut butter

Low-fat soups made with *skim milk

Whole-wheat crackers, melba toast-now comes in a variety of flavors, fat-free saltine crackers

Potatoes, baked or boiled, no skin

Pasta - whole wheat
*Macoroni and cheese

Brown or wild rice

Canned fruit, no sugar added (packed in juice)
Mashed bananas
Melons - no seeds
Applesauce (unsweetened) or apples - no peeling
Pears - no peeling

Peaches or nectarines – no peeling

Canned vegetables – no seeds

Soft cooked vegetables such as carrots, eggplant, beets, green beans, squash, and green peas

*Poached soft cooked eggs, no hard or scrambled eggs

Sugar-free popsicles
*Sugar-free pudding made with skim milk

*Tuna salad made with oil-free tuna and non-fat mayonnaise.  It must be smooth texture and not chunky.
Chicken or ham salad made with non-fat mayonnaise.  It must be smoth texture and not chunky. 

*Fat-free Refried beans

Cooked cereals made with 
Most Active