HELP!!!! Portion sizes from 6 months to 1 year post-op

(deactivated member)
on 12/26/08 6:12 am, edited 12/26/08 6:13 am - The beautiful, US Virgin Islands......, XX

Hello!

I hope everyone is having a great holiday break!

I am in need of information....portion sizes in particular.

i knew what the portion size was during my first 6 months of post op RnY.....and i was always told to eat till I feel full, however, i'm not sure that is too much. 

Could some of you tell me what you can eat? 

like a full chicken breast with a full side of something..... or just  give me an idea of what it takes for people about a year out to feel full.  Sometimes I feel like I can eat and eat, and i'm uncertain of the checks ad balances.  I don't feel like I want to run to my doc or nutritionst every single time I have a question expecially when they may not have had WLS themselves.

So please give some reatime examples of what you can eat if you're more than 6+ months post op.  Thank you for your time!  Sometimes it seems as though i can eat endless amounts of soups.  I know that I'm not the only one who needs this data, so please give me real-time examples of what you would nomally eat.  I want to make sure we all know how often we eat versus how much we eat during the one year post op timeframe.  THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE!

I'm on an island and I only have you folks as my source of solid information, so i would like to compare it asap.

T.
bajahahamama
on 12/27/08 6:36 am - CA

Hi T

I have a VSG, so my quantites may be different.  You might want to ask your question on the RNY or Main forum to get more  RNY'ers response.  I do not have the malabsorption of the RNY, but at 1 year, I can eat alot more than at 6 months.  I try to eat 5 times a day, 3 meals and 2 small snacks.  My surgeon suggested 3 meals a day for the RNY & band folks,  I just could not get enough calories that way.  I just had my labs done and things looked good.  My only problem is low thryoid.  Possibly from the reduced stomach size my med isn't getting absorbed as well. I am working on Maintenance and possibly losing a few pounds in the new year.

I can eat about 3/4 cup of oatmeal, or Almost 1 egg 1 Tbsp Potatoes and a  piece of bacon or almost 1 slice whole wheat bread with 1 TBsp Peanut Butter for Breakfast (I do alot of protein Coffees too). I can eat most of the good stuff from a regular (not huge) salad, but only a small amount of the lettuce.  I can eat about 1/2 a hamburger, half a burrito (peeling away most of the wrap), 3OZ beet, 4 oz Chicken, 5 oz fish( seem to be able to eat more of that) probably about 3/4 - 1 cup by volume.   Carbs I can eat alot of sliders...  they are a weakness, and go down way easy and don't fill me up.  I can eat 10 chips and a taco, or a taco.  I don't get it... I guess since my tummy is just narrower, the chips turn to sludge and pass through really fast... I am guessing that The Taco has meat and takes longer to digest and I get full

I try to keep my snacks at 100-150 cals.  1 OZ cheese and a date, 1 oz cheeze and olives, 100 cal snack packs, jerky, fruit. nuts

Good luck finding the info you need. 

Ter 

greenrobinson
on 12/27/08 11:42 am
Hi,
I am 21 months (almost) out. My typical day includes the following

BK - 1 egg
Snack - sugar free pudding
Lunch - 2 1/2 ounces tuna
              4 crackers
              1/2 a fruit or 1/4 cup veggies
snack - 1 ounce cheese (usually mozzerella)
snack - (I have this because I work out 2 hours at the gym most nights and after an hour am       really in need of this) - banana, or sugar free pudding, or 1 ounce cheese, or 1 protein bar
supper - 3 ounces of meat or 1 cup of bean soup, or 2 ounces of meat and 1/4 cup cottage cheese.
snack - 1 or 2 no sugar added popsicles and 1 or 2 no sugar added fudge bars
I also drink 3 protein drinks throughout the day

I can eat much more but choose to do this and it works for me. Some days I can't eat this much and other days can eat more. I try to get in 1 fruit and 1 veggie a day and limit my carbs (I just don't feel well when I eat them).
* JuneCleaver *
on 12/28/08 1:11 am

I'm 18 mo out and on most days I can comfortably eat the following at a sitting:

1/2-1 c of cottage cheese or yogurt

3/4-1c of hot cereal

3 oz of dense protein with maybe 1/4 c. veggies

3 c. of salad greens or popcorn

the innards of 2 restaurant tacos

a full protein bar (usually Pure Protein)

a 1.5 oz bag of Kays Naturals protein chips

3 3-4" cottage cheese pancakes

1/2c of spaghetti squash with 1/2c meat sauce

1/2 c. scrambled egg beaters (2 eggs) with a little cheese and salsa

I can take a few bites of the crusty part of bread at a restaurant but no more if I still need to get protein in

1-2 pieces of french toast made with Light (diet) wheat bread and topped with Splenda sweetened cream cheese

1/2-1 Flat-out roll-up (1 piece of light flat-out bread with 2 oz turkey, spinach, and 1 oz cream cheese)

1/2 - 1 small tortilla pizza (using La Tortilla factory low carb, whole wheat tortilla)

Hope this helps!

Bekah

Lap RNY 6/7/07 (Consult -196 / Current - 111.2) 
LBL/BA 8/13/08  
Coccygectomy 3/09

liveinphx
on 12/28/08 2:30 am - Phoenix, AZ
I had my sleeve done 6 mos ago and this is what I take in most days. Again there is no malabsorbtion with the sleeve so what you need may be different.
I take in at least 75 gms of portein per day, more on most days but this is the minimum I strive for. I try to get in at least 30 gms of fat per day, helps me with that get up and go feeling aka constipation. I do not eat more than 80 carbs per day and that is almost exclusively from from fruits, cheese etc. I do not eat bread or potatos etc. Since I am not a breakfast eater and never have been. I generally have a protein shake in the morning. I also eat a protein bar, sometimes for breakfast sometimes midmorning. My diet consists of most chicken, fish, some beef and some buffalo. I try to have some greek yogurt several times per week, it is high protein and helps with calcium etc.
Not sure if this helps at all. Good luck on this amazing journey
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
azreggie
on 12/30/08 2:14 pm, edited 12/30/08 2:16 pm - Tucson, AZ
My NUT has me on 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup per meal.  My surgeon told me that even if I am 1 year, 2 years , etc to NEVER eat more than 1 cup of food per meal.  For the rest of my life.  That simplifies it pretty well I thought.  And soups are like drinking while eating.  That's why you feel like you can eat endless amounts of soup, they are being washed right out of your pouch, just like eating and drinking at the same time.

Reggie

LadyNice
on 12/31/08 8:22 am
Hi,

I am so glad you asked this question. I am interested in seeing more input on it. I am breaking the rule of having the slider foods and drinking during meals to provide nutrients to my baby. I am nearing the end of my pregnancy and will do the 5 day pouch after I give birith to get back on track. Portion size was becoming an issue for me until I discovered what I was doing wrong before getting pregnant, so now I think I am more equipped with understanding this tool. The one thing that I do realize is that, I may feel like I can eat more but I will CHOOSE to eat until I feel comfortablly full on the right foods to continue with my journey of weight loss and getting healthier. I am battling the cravings for carbs right now and I will conquer it! 

Good Luck. I wish you much success.
JB1114
on 1/7/09 4:49 am - Grain Valley, MO
I'm 6 months out tomorrow.  I usually eat a half portion of whatever the food is.   Such as oatmeal - 1/2 cup rather than 1 cup; 2 oz. of chicken or ground beef; half a serving of crackers although I had to stop eating them because I was doing it too often.

I've just gotten to the point I can eat 2 oz. of protein at a meal.  I love the protein coffee and have found protein bars I really like from nashuanutrition.com.  I have one in the afternoon.

My dietician told me to eat 3 meals a day with 2 oz. of protein each meal and no snacking.  I couldn't eat that much so I did have a morning and afternoon snack.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

teacher247
on 1/20/09 9:06 am - Shelbyville, KY
I am in the same boat! I have no idea how much to eat. I am 7 months out and my favorite meal is 3 shrimp and 3-4 oysters and a bite or two of salad. I keep thinking that I have streached my pouch. How would one know if that has happened?? Also what happens if you drink and eat?
Most Active