Need some CREATIVE protein ideas......

elimatal
on 12/26/08 4:11 am - Greensboro, MD
I'd like to start out by wishing everyone a very merry Christmas.....hope you all had a wonderful one!....Here's my question....I had roux en y gastric bypass surgery on November 14Th of this year...I am a 33 year old female, and my surgeon said my surgery was a "text book case"---everything went as it was supposed to with the surgery and also with my recovery. I was able to drink 2 protein shakes a day, and had just been bumped up to soft/pureed foods when I got SICK with the stomach flu roughly a month post-op. I got so dehydrated that I ended up in the hospital twice in a week's time. While in the hospital the second time, my surgeon ordered a CT scan to make sure my new stomach hadn't been affected from all the throwing up I had been doing---again--everything was fine. I'm just now starting to feel slightly more human, however I've hit a new road block....I can't stand to eat anything now. I take two sips of milk or a protein shake and I feel nauseated and FULL. I know I NEED to be getting in LOTS of protein, and I'm wondering if I could get some creative suggestions on how to do so at this point......I've got the unflavored protein powder that I could be mixing in with things if I could only find something I could tolerate eating....ANY suggestions would be so appreciated! Thanks a million!
debbieposner
on 12/26/08 4:52 am
Not very creative, but you might make a protein shake and add extra water so that it's quite thin. Then, just take one sip. A few minutes later, take another. etc. I don't know if this would enable you to drink the shake over an hour or more without getting sick.

Another thought, if it's the liquid texture that is triggering this, you might try 1% fat cottege cheese or something that has a little more texture.

Can you drink water? mint tea (can be soothing and has no caffeine)?

Wish I could help.

Wish I had more ideas.
Michele S.
on 12/27/08 4:30 am - MD
You might want to try a juice type protein shake rather than the ones that mix with milk.  Nectar makes several flavors that are really good.  You may also be lactose intolerant now.  I was a milk fiend prior to surgery but I can't touch the stuff now.  You can also mix unflavored protein into other sugar free beverages.  I particularly like it mixed with sugar free tang. 
Good Luck!
Michele
277/244//160
Highest weight/day of surgery 6-9-08/goal reached 2/24/09!!!
God is Amazing
!!!!
wendy_fou
on 12/27/08 2:14 pm - AR

I am NOT a shake person. You may not be able to use ALL these suggestions now since you are relatively a new post-op... but some of them should work for you. 

My top 3 tips for adding protein to your diet (no shakes involved)! 

1.) Add LESS protein powder to whatever you are trying to make (drink, whatever).  There is no rule saying you have to had protein by the "scoop".  I have found that NO protein is THAT good where I want to add a whole scoop.  In fact, I throw my "scoop" out as soon as I open a canister/tub of protein powder.  Instead, I take a measuring spoon (tablespoon size) and measure out 1 tablespoon of the protein powder.  I then pour that much protein powder on a digital scale to see how many grams it weighs.  Then I prorate out the nutrition facts information (calories, fat, carbs, protein, etc) based on what that tablespoon weighs as opposed to what a whole serving (scoop or 2 scoops - whatever) weighs.  I write the prorated info on a post-it note and tape it to the side of the canister/tub.  When I add protein powder to something (milk, frozen yogurt, recipes, etc), I add it by the tablespoon.  It is less protein that way, but it lets you add protein without adding that protein texture/taste/etc that many people have problems with. 

2.) Add protein rich items to your meals/soups/milk/yogurts/etc - like powdered egg whites, powdered non-fat milk or tofu or protein rich garnishments to your food - like wheat germ or flax seed to sauces, peanut butters, jellies, spreads, gravies, etc.

3.) Choose protein rich versions of foods. 
a.) GNC and www.fitnessfirstusa.com each sell a high protein peanut butter.  GNC sells one for $6 - $7 called Power PB that has 6 grams of protein per tbsp.  www.fitnessfirstusa.com sells one for $11 - $12 called Peanut Power Butter that has 6 grams of protein per tbsp.  They are both high in fiber and lower overall in fat than regular peanut butter (but higher in GOOD fat). 
b.) Health food stores and everal websites, including www.fitnessfirstusa.com and others, sell items like protein chips, protein cereals, etc that are specifically made high in protein for people that need a higher protein requirement in their diet (like us)!  There are SOOO many of these foods - from chips to cereals to meal replacement bars to peanut butters like I already mentioned - that everyone can find something they like. 

Good luck!

Most Active