Quesion........

sadgma
on 12/26/08 2:00 am
I am in the process of being approved for WLS.  I am getting nervous.  I am 53, what can I start doing..........vitamins, etc. to get ready for surgery?  I don't want to do anything drastic at this time, but want to get my body built up if that makes sense?!  Thanks in advance!

Vickie
Pam T.
on 12/26/08 6:03 am - Saginaw, MI
 Hi Vickie - 

Congratulations on your journey!  Your big day will be here before you know it.

I would start with:

1) multi-vitamin and calcium.  Every woman needs to be taking these anyway, might as well start now and get into the habit.  Your doses will increase after surgery, but for now start with the normal dose.

2) walk, walk, walk.  Get your body ready for surgery.  Walking will help strength your legs and core and will also help build your lung capacity which can help you recovery from the anesthesia easier. 

3) think about protein first.  When you eat, always eat your protein first, just like you will after surgery.  Try to limit simple carbs (bread, pasta, sugar, sweets) but focus on healthy carbs (fruits, veggies. legumes, whole grains).  Eat slow and savor your food and try to learn how to take small bites and chew well.  Just work on one or two things at a time... just to get into the habit of eating like a post-op'er.

Here's a post I wrote on my blog called Preparing for Surgery.  Might give you some other ideas.

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active