x-post: I don't have a nutritionist...now what?

platinum_garb
on 12/22/08 4:07 am - chicago, IL
OK, so I've been wanting to ask this for a while, but I kinda just skirted the issue.

I LOVE my surgeon. He's rad, and so is his fellow. His office ladies are nice and knowledgeable, too. BUT, I do not have a nutritionist. The office does not employ one. Truthfully (I was scared to say this out of the gate), I'm super jealous of the people on the boards who talk about the lists and so forth they got from their nut for each phase of eating early post-surgery. My "lists" were so vague that they were laughable in my opinion.

Well, you live and learn. I bought a few books on WLS diets and have searched for the answers to my questions as necessary. What I want to know now is this-do any of you guys and/or gals know a detailed web site with nutrition guidelines for RNY? I am 3 months out and have been cleared for "all foods" at this point. I know what my pouch likes and what it doesn't...but I feel like I could be doing "better". Can anyone help me?

Thanks for reading that novel...I didn't mean to be so all over the place.

Georgia
LawGirl
on 12/22/08 4:56 am, edited 12/22/08 4:58 am - Santa Monica, CA
RNY on 02/01/06 with
 I'm sure you can find lists and general guidelines, but your best bet is to get a nutritionist. Ask your surgeon for a recommendation. Or, do some research. Start calling around and asking the nutritionists in your area if they are familiar with WLS patients. 

First, you need to have your blood work done so they can analyze your vitamin levels and body functions. It's incredibly important to have your labs done so you know what to do right. An average recommended dose of, say, B12 wont do you much good if you're deficient. Things need to be done to get you normal before you maintain. It's also possible that you'll have great levels and it will save you time/money in not having to take certain supplements. 

My surgeon is located about 50 miles away and I have no desire to drive that far. So, I asked my regular doctor and he recommended a good nutritionist that's part a hospital near me. She was able to call the WLS program that they have there to get recommendations. So, any nutritionist should be willing to pick up the phone to speak to your surgeon. 

For me it was about $100 for the appointment. But, it's possible that insurance will pay if you get your labs done and find you have deficiencies or other problems. If your surgeon isn't any help, call other WLS programs in your area, or the hospitals that do WLS and they should have resources for you. 

Oh, and write to your surgeon and let them know that it's pretty sad to not have a nutritionist on board with his team. Include that in your reviews, if you write them, about his practice. Yes, he may be a good surgeon, but since nutrition is such a HUGE and vital part of WLS, he's really doing his patients a disservice by leaving them on their own afterwards. Their job doesn't end after they cut us up! 
Good luck! 
platinum_garb
on 12/23/08 7:37 am - chicago, IL
Thanks for the reply. I had my 3 month labs done prior to my appt. and my only deficiency is potassium, so I have been eating banana and am looking for a supplement as well.

I think you're right about posting a review with the no nut info. Im not mad about it, but I'm disappointed.
wendy_fou
on 12/22/08 8:38 am, edited 12/22/08 8:38 am - AR
Were there specific questions you had?  Perhaps if you were more specific, we could all help you.  I know MANY of us would be glad to help you all we could - if we just had some specific questions.  I don't have any websites that I can think of right off the top of my head.  Sorry. 

Edited to add:
My surgeon/NUT/RD recommends:
1)  a minimum protein intake of 60 grams per day
2) the 25/50/25 ratio, meaning 25% calories from fat (20 - 30% at all times from fat, complying with the American Heart Association), 50% calories from carbs (not net carbs, total carbs), and 25% calories from protein
3) no more than 3 meals and 1 snack per day - ever
4) a minimum of 64 ounces of fluid per day
5) stop drinking 30 minutes before meals
6) never drink with meals
7) don't drink for 1 to 1.5 hours AFTER meals
8) measure (by volume, not weight) every meal/snack and don't go over 1/2 cup (a tiny bit over 1/2 cup is okay occassionally, but 1/2 cup is my cut-off 99% of the time)
9) avoid sugar and simple carbs whenever possible
10) make every calorie count.
platinum_garb
on 12/23/08 7:39 am - chicago, IL
Thanks! You have given me great info right along the lines of what I was looking for. Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.
Most Active