cookbooks??? looking for new ways to fix my meals.....

AZJodoodle
on 12/18/08 8:24 pm - Phoenix, AZ

Does anyone know of a bariatric cookbook??   I am not the greatest cook so I am looking for something fast and easy. Im getting pretty tired of my limited ways of cooking chicken, fish, etc.. I am at the point were I would rather eat nothing at all then take a bit of the same old thing.

AZJodoodle
wendy_fou
on 12/18/08 9:45 pm - AR
Really ANY cookbook can be a "healthy" cookbook with the right recipe alterations.  I'd recommend more a book on how (in general) to make recipes low-fat or low-carb or high-protein (whichever one you think you need to focus on more or ALL of the above). 

Here are some things I have found makes ANY recipe more WLS friendly...
1) "fry" things in broth (or non-stick cooking spray) rather than oil
2) use 2% cheeses as opposed to full-fat  (even fat free cheese, but they don't melt as well)
3) use low-carb baking mixes (or soy, almond or wheat flour) as opposed to white flour
4) use skim milk in place of whole milk
5) use egg whites in place of whole eggs

Just curious.... how are you "limited" now in the way you can cook things?  I have been frying, baking, roasting, broiling, grilling, etc since my WLS with no trouble.  I guess I just don't understand what cooking methods you are NOT using. 
H.A.L.A B.
on 12/23/08 1:54 am
Cookbooks are good but why spend money when we have OH?

Look at eggface profile, she has more than enough recipes.  You can print that, put it in a binder, have a cookbook. Also, there is a recipe forum, you can find anything there.  
Another thing: for any specific recipe - ask the board: the main and/or the recipe board.  Someone may have a recipe that you will like.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

LawGirl
on 12/21/08 8:37 am - Santa Monica, CA
RNY on 02/01/06 with
 There are cookbooks for weight loss surgery people. Go to Barnesandnoble.com or Amazon.com and search gastric bypass. I believe one was called Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery, or something similar. I bought it, but honestly never once used it. 

You can read Cooking Light magazine or other magazines geared towards healthy eating, just as long as the recipes follow what you should be doing (high protein, low carbs, good vegetables, etc.) which I find that most of them are. Go to the bookstore and just look at the cooking magazines and cookbooks. You can also look at low-carb cookbooks, as they may be helpful. Just about anything can be modified to fit your needs. They'll help give you some inspiration, but if you do need exact recipes, the books are out there. 
* JuneCleaver *
on 12/28/08 1:14 am

Check out HungryGirl.com

She has got tons of great recipes and ingredient swapping ideas on-line, plus she has a cookbook out.  She's not specific for WLS so you have to make sure the sugar is something you can handle but almost all of her recipes are low enough in sugar for me and I'm very sensitive to sugar.  Even just reading through her recipies gives me so many ideas that I hadn't considered before.

Lap RNY 6/7/07 (Consult -196 / Current - 111.2) 
LBL/BA 8/13/08  
Coccygectomy 3/09

Most Active