Daily protein intake #s??

newmom0402
on 12/18/08 12:52 am - NC
Hi everyone,

I had a 1 month post-op consultation with my nuritionist yesterday and she berated me about my protein levels.  I have some that vary by day from 80-120 gP.  She told me that NO ONE needs to have a protein level greater than 70 daily.  She told me that I am starving my body of carbs and vegetables by eaing most of my calories from meat.  I was so surprised I didn't know what to say.  

I would like to know what you all think or have been told to do, because I have seen on here people who eat over 100 gP daily.  Why have you been told to eat more than 70 gP daily?  What are the benefits?   How are you getting enough fruits and veggies in your diet, but staying only at 1000 calories daily?  Thanks.

Tami

doreenh
on 12/20/08 9:07 pm - Meredith, NH
Every program is different.  You should follow what your Dr suggests.

However, I'm not sure even the NUTS know exactly how much protein we should have.  I was told originaly a minimum of 60g. I've been close to 80 most days.   I recently had my 9 month labs done, my NUT called me at home and told me to increase them, my albumin levels are very low.  I asked to what number.  She said every person is different and to start with 30 more grams and we'll check levels again.  I've had to start using the protein shakes to get my numbers up.

It is very hard to get your fruits and veggies in along with protein in the beginning.  I don't think I ate fruits or veggies for 2-3 months after the surgery.   I still do a very poor job of it.  I just don't have the room in my pouch.  We've been told to always eat our protein first and then if there's room to eat the rest.  I tend to eat  faster than I should, which usually means I'm done before I get to the veggies.

Good Luck
Doreen

Lady_K
on 12/29/08 10:16 am - Sacramento, CA
From what I have been researching and reading... and what might molify your NUT.  You can get your main source of protein from shakes or bullets.  That will leave room in your pouch for those veggies that your NUT thinks you just have to have.  I would stick to the carbs you get in the veggies though, not using the potato, pasta stuff for the carbs.  Of course - since I haven't had surgery yet - feel free to disregard.

~Lady K. ~ (aka: Paula)
The second greatest power on earth is the power to CHOOSE ~ Gus S. Miller Jr.
Dr. Laura Machado - RNY - 4/7/09

Most Active