prealbumin levels

Losingmyself
on 12/16/08 4:20 am
Two times in a row now I've had low levels.  After having surgery last week it's a bit annoying to find this out again when it has everything to do with how I'll heal.  I've tried protein drinks but can't handle the milk based ones. I've tried protein bullets but I was informed that these aren't always complete protein so it might be a waste of my time.  Any suggestions?  I wish I could get myself to like yogurt and cottage cheese but I can't. 

Thanks In advance,
Krista
Pam T.
on 12/16/08 10:45 pm - Saginaw, MI

Hi Krista -

I know it's frustrating and I hope things will turn around quickly for you.  It took me a while to find some protein powders that worked for me and I had to try about 4 dozen different flavors/brands in the first 6 weeks after surgery.  It's a huge game of experimentation.

I started with the 21-flavor pack from www.enjoyhealth.com and then tried samples from GNC, Meijer, a couple health food stores and www.bariatriceating.com.  I have a list in my profile of online and local resources for getting samples of protein powder. 

Remember that the powders can be mixed in a million different ways.  One scoop of vanilla can be mixed with milk, soy milk, flavored soy milk, water, crystal light, diet juice, or even added to soups, yogurts, cottage cheese or oatmeal.  You can fix it hot or cold or room temperature or even made into ice cream.  You can mix stuff into it like ice, sugar free coffee creamers or syrups, frozen fruit, canned pumpkin, pudding powder, etc.  That single scoop of vanilla could be transformed into dozens of different recipes. 

I have My Protein Book posted on my blog and you're welcome to download it.  There's a second in the book (it's 140 pages long) that is devoted to just protein shake recipes.  The possibilities are endless.  Here's the link: http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2008/09/my-protein-book.html

And you're right.  The protein bullets are not the right kind of protein for us.  Here's my research on that:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/pwsammy/blog/action,commen ts/blog_post_id,159933/

If you are lactose intolerant (which is very common after surgery) make sure that you are using Whey Isolate Protein Powder.  Isolate is the highest quality available and all the lactose (sugar) and fat have been removed in the manufacturing process. 

Sometimes people are simply whey intolerant and have to switch to a different form of protein powder such as soy or egg protein.  They are harder to find and don't have the variety of flavors ... and sometimes they are gritty and don't mix well.  But if you can't do whey, then this might be your only option.

This early out it's nearly impossible to get all your protein from food alone.  Although many people did it, I can't imagine myself ever being able to do it without shakes.  It's hard and takes a lot of patience and perserverance ... but in the end, it'll be worth it when you finally find something that works.

Sometimes you just have to treat protein like medicine and just "chug" it to get it down.  Use a small-mouthed bottle or sippy cup so you don't catch a whiff of the smell, sometimes that helps.  But you need your protein and you have to work hard to get it in any way you can.

Good luck and congratulations on your surgery
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active