symptoms of vitiamin shortfall (can't spell defenciency??)

markgum
on 12/15/08 1:14 am - Littleton, CO
Hi all;
 yes, i've not posted in 4ever.  I'm 5 years post op.  my question,  I'm sure I can find the answer searching the site, but thought I'd ask also...
what are some of the symptoms one should watch for if you don't take your vitiamins? yes, a double edged question.  However, due to the great economy, putting a gallon of milk in the fridge or buying vitiamins,,, touch choices have to be made.  I know not taking vitiamins can lead to serious complications, but if I have to push the envelope, what should one be watching for and do you all have any suggestions for obtaining vitiamins that are absorable by us Post OP people, at little or no cost??
Also if any of you need an IT or HR/Stafing  person let me know.  I'm willing to move to where ever to get back to work.
thanks.
mark gum
manteca, CA
wendy_fou
on 12/15/08 5:38 am - AR

Mental and Emotional Risks

• Apathy
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Irritability
  • Intolerance
  • Moodiness
  • Decrease in mental alertness
  • Decrease in mental comprehension
  • Inability to concentrate
  • Thoughts focused on eating, weight and hunger
  • Self-absorbed, self-focused, decrease in wider interests
  • Preoccupation with own body, judgmental of others'
  • Lowered self-esteem, feels self-worth depends on being thin
  • Mental disorders

Physical Risks

• Weakness, fainting, fatigue
  • Cold intolerance
  • Gallstones
  • Gouty arthritis
  • Cardiac disorders
  • Elevated cholesterol
  • Anemia
  • Headache
  • Elevated uric acid levels
  • Loss of lean tissue
  • Nausea
  • Diarrhea, constipation
  • Edema
  • Hair loss, and thinning hair
  • Hypotension
  • Abdominal pain
  • Muscle cramps
  • Aching muscles
  • Both slowed and increased heart rate
  • Heart abnormalities, arrhythmias
  • Death
  • Kwashiorkor
  • Fullness, moon-shaped face
  • Brittle, pluckable hair
  • Fine, silky hair
  • Alopecia
  • Decreased pigmentation (hair)
  • Meuhrcke's lines (nails)
  • Hyperpigmentation (sun-exposed skin)
  • Flaky paint or crazy paving dermatitis
  • Delayed wound healing
  • Decubitus ulcers
  • Muscle weakness and wasting
  • Anaemia (the body's inability to deliver sufficent oxygen to its cells)
  • Myopea (near-sightedness)
  • Ridges on the nails (transverse or longitudinal)
  • Hangnails
  • Impaired immunity
  • Irregularity (constipation more often than not)
  • Low blood pressure
  • Decreased heart rate
  • Liver failure
wendy_fou
on 12/15/08 5:45 am - AR
Actually... I think I accidentally copied the side effects and/or symptoms of protein deficiency as opposed to vitamin deficiency.  But a lot of them are the same. 
markgum
on 12/15/08 6:01 am - Littleton, CO
Thanks Wendy.
Pam T.
on 12/15/08 10:12 pm - Saginaw, MI
Hi Mark -

I have a great resources that lists each vitamin/mineral, how often deficiencies are seen (in normal-digestive people), what the symptoms are and what foods contain high amounts of that vitamin. 

I've got the file posted on my blog -- it's part of My Protein Book. 
http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2008/09/my-protein-book.html

Click the link to download the file and it'll take you to a file hosting site where you can view or download the file.  The vitamin deficiency list starts on about page 10 (I think) and goes for several pages.  Let me know if you can't get to it and I can email you the file directly.

My mom is 5 years post-op and she was just diagnosed with osteoporosis because she was not faithful with taking her calcium supplements and when she did take it, it was the wrong kind (carbonate not citrate).  So please make sure you're taking your calcium (1500-200mg per day) -- yes, even men need calcium.  :-)

Good luck,
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Pam T.
on 12/15/08 10:22 pm - Saginaw, MI
By the way.... there are plenty of perfectly reasonably priced vitamins on the market that work just fine for us.  You don't have to spend a fortune on vitamins to get what you need.

Centrum Multi-Vitamins (2 per day) --- $10 for 30 day supply
Sublingual B12 --- $5 for 2-3 month supply
Citracal Calcium -- $10 for 30 day supply

So for around $22/month, you get the minimum requirements and stay healthy.  :-)

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

markgum
on 12/15/08 10:46 pm - Littleton, CO
Thanks Pam.
  my dear daughter is taking me to Walmart today to get some vitiamins.  I'm taking the list you sent with me and will do.
  I was taking the optisource from Target that is like $22 for a month supply. But like I said money is way to tight. 
Pam T.
on 12/15/08 10:55 pm - Saginaw, MI
Mark -

Many of the people in my support group use Optisource... but I personally don't see that it's any better than regular old vitamins.  I think it's one of those over-priced "bariatric" vitamins, personally.  How can it be truly a bariatric vitamin if they use a form of calcium we don't absorb?  Just makes me question the whole brand. 

Centrum has passed some pretty vigorous testing by third-party labs and has stood the test of time with quality, absorbability and truth in labeling -- so I trust them. 

I'm glad your daughter is taking you shopping.  I know money is tight, but this is one of those things you can't let slide.  Permenant damage to your health is not something you want to play chicken with.

Pam

Most Active