tres leche cake

newmom0402
on 12/14/08 5:31 am - NC
Hi,

Does anyone have a diabetic or low sugar version of tres leches cake?  I figure with three kinds of milk it should be high in protein.  I am looking for a Good homemade recipe so I can cut out the sugar in the cake mix, or change out some of the high sugared milks.  I prefer a recipe that someone has already had success with.  Thanks

Tami

Pam T.
on 12/14/08 10:43 pm - Saginaw, MI
I googled it and came up with this:

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/diabetic/lorena_garcia\'s_fresh_ mango_tres_leches_recipe.html

Traditional Tres Leches Cake is updated to a low sugar version. Tropical fruit and citrus sauce make this dessert extra special

Lorena Garcia's Fresh Mango Tres Leches Cake

Cake:
3/4 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs, separated
2 large egg whites
1 cup mango slices

Cream:
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (14 ounce) can condensed milk
1 pint fat free half-and-half
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking
Optional: Garnish with 1 pint reduced fat whipped cream and coconut shavings
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Prepare a 9-inch spring form cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Blend the flour, SPLENDA® Sugar Blend, and baking soda together in a bowl and set aside.
  3. Blend the 4 egg yolks and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl . Mix at medium high speed until eggs are pale in color.
  4. Blend the 6 egg whites until soft peak.
  5. Mix all of the ingredients together.
  6. Pour mixture into the pan and place in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until the cake tests clean. Set aside and let cool.
  7. Make Cream: blend the evaporated milk, condensed milk, half-and-half, and orange juice in a mixing bowl.
  8. Place the mango slices at the bottom of a deep container. Place the cake on top and add the cream mixture over. Leave the cake submerged for at least 30 minutes until the liquid is absorbed in the refrigerator. The servings should have mango slices at the bottom; about half the liquid will remain in the container.
  9. Decorate the Tres Leches with the whipped cream and coconut shavings.
  10. Serve immediately.

Makes 10 servings.

Nutritional Facts Per Serving: Calories: 430; Calories from Fat: 80; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 115mg; Sodium: 430mg; Total Carbs: 69g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 45g; Protein: 13g

Exchanges Per Serving: 1/2 Medium Fat Meat, 3 1/2 Starches, 1 1/2 Fats

Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Lady_K
on 12/29/08 10:21 am - Sacramento, CA
Not sure if they have a Tres Leches cake in there - but if not, there are a bunch of other recipes that look great.  I have only tried a few, and the ones that I have tried are WONDERFUL!

Link 

~Lady K. ~ (aka: Paula)
The second greatest power on earth is the power to CHOOSE ~ Gus S. Miller Jr.
Dr. Laura Machado - RNY - 4/7/09

Most Active