Not losing weight

pjukawil
on 12/12/08 8:56 am - Davison, MI
I had my surgery Nov 10th...initially lost five lbs within the first few days and then nothing for the next few weeks.  I called the bariatric nurse and he told me to increase my calories to 800-1000 a day (I was eating 500-700 a day), and subsequently gained 3 of the measely 5 lbs that I lost.  I have lost inches...but I cannot understand why I am not seeing my scales move...no matter what I do...I weigh the same thing every single morning.  I feel soooooooooo bummed out about this.  FYI I lost 37 lbs prior to surgery,  I am 5' 6"  221, size baggy 18.  What am I doing wrong?  What should I be doing?  I exercise everyday on the treadmill, and get my protein in like I'm supposed to but???  Could being dehydrated cause me not to lose weight?  According to my scales I am usually 37 -39% total body water (instead of 45-60%)

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank you in advance!!

Pam T.
on 12/13/08 8:11 am - Saginaw, MI
 Congratulations on your surgery.  It sounds like you're doing everything right.  You're getting in your protein right (60-80g/day)?  And drinking all your water, right?  (64oz/day).    If you are dehydrated your weight could definitely slow down or stop.  Water retention is a classic symptom of dehydration.  Drink your water and let those fat toxics get flushed from your body.  

You did great before surgery in losing so much weight and that is probably contributing to the slow scale right now.  It's pretty common for the scale to act a bit weird in the first few weeks after surgery while your body adjusts to the changes.  You'll also lose a bit slower than the average because you started out as a lightweight.  I'm sure the scale is going to move like lightening next month.  :-)

Keep up the good work!
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

newmom0402
on 12/14/08 8:51 am - NC
Hi,

I am in the same boat as you.  I am 5'4" and started at 226.  I lost 9 pounds the first week out and so far nothing else on my house scale.  Tomorrow I go for my 1 month check up, so we will see what I am on their scale. 

They did tell me to expect no more that 15-20 pounds the first month and then up to 10 pounds each month after.  I am PMSing right now, so I don't expect much weight loss this week.  I am craving sweets.  Remember your hormones do play a roll in this.  I think once I get through my monthly cycle, I will see something on the scale. 

Don't worry, you are not alone!

(deactivated member)
on 12/26/08 9:28 am - east falmouth, MA
same deal here...Lost 16 opounds in 5 weeks...not such a big deal.... i am wondering if i could go gack to protein shakes for a while...they did such a good job compared to the mushies these days... I am also completely void of energy..yuck
Most Active