off the bandwagon

whisperingliz
on 12/9/08 2:37 pm - paramount, CA
I've totally messed up, yes, i deserve a yelling.  How can I start over? I gained weight after my pregnancy in August and have gained 13 pounds that I just cannot lose (totally my fault though), I have a new baby, work, and have no time to excersise! Any tips?? please... Appreciate it!
wendy_fou
on 12/10/08 11:22 am - AR
Some people will try to sell you that (IMO gimmick) 5-day-pouch-test. 

IMO, you'd do much better to just get back to basics.

Are you drinking with your meals?  If so, stop.  Stop drinking 30 minutes before your meals and don't start again until 1 - 1.5 hours after you finish your meals.

Are you measuring your meals/snacks?  If not, start.  Maintaining proper post-op portion sizes are a MUST for long-term success.  Get back to whatever portion size your surgeon's plan caps you out at.  (If he doesn't set a portion cap, he should have.  My surgeon caps patients at 1/2 cup - forever.  I have never seen a surgeon set a cap at higher than 1 & 1/2 cups though and most I have seen cap at 3/4 to 1 cup.) 

Are you doing protein first as is standard for ALL WLS post-ops (regardless of what procedure you had)?  If not, start doing protein first.  Make sure you are getting in AT THE VERY LEAST 60 grams of protein per day.  Inadequate amounts of protein can contribute to weight gain.

Are you getting in all your vitamins?  If not, start.  (There is a vitamin thread just a day or so old on this very board that will tell you what vitamins you should be taking in case you don't have a list.)  Vitamin deficiencies can cause problems with all sorts of systems, including those that regulate body fat, appetite, etc. 

Are you drinking carbonated beverages?  If so, stop.  Carbonated beverages have been shown to contribute to weight gain for a variety of reasons - including (but not limited to) vitamin leeching calcium and other vitamins from the body and increasing appetite.

Are you attending support groups?  If not, start.  Post-ops attending support group are MUCH more likely to lose more weight and MAINTAIN higher loses than those that do not.  (For actual statistics on this, see my profile because I don't remember what they are now.)

Are you drinking enough?
etc
etc
etc
basics
basics
basics
whisperingliz
on 12/10/08 12:06 pm - paramount, CA
yep, I've done all the "no, no, no's".  I absolutley need to press my restart button, I was sooooooooooo good for 3 years, and then... pregnancy, stress. I know I need to control my emotions also, I will start to watch my intake and I need to start my protein again. I appreciate all of your advice! Thanks so much :)
Most Active