need help with what vitamins to take

pugsley101
on 12/8/08 5:26 am - KY
What vitamins do I buy and when do I start taking them?

My surgery is scheduled next week.

Is there a simple chart that says take this this and this
Pam T.
on 12/8/08 9:08 am - Saginaw, MI
 Here is the ASMBS guidelines for supplements (chart on page 7).
http://ullberg.us/Andrea/SOARD_Bariatric_Nutrition.pdf

If your surgeon isn't providing this information for you, then you need to ask.  If they don't have a plan for post-op vitamins then you need to be looking for a new surgeon.  This is information you need to be getting from your bariatric center.  BUT.... all surgeons are human and don't know every, so use the ASMBS guidelines above to make sure his advice is on track.

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

kirby1dog G.
on 12/15/08 7:47 am
Hi Pam,
   I have to say what so many others have said before because it is so true-you are such a resource to us here on OH.  I appreciate your generosity.  I'm wondering if you've ever run across any post RNY people who have experienced myalgic pain.  I'm only 13 wks out but I am having severe muscle weakness and muscle aches in my limbs and now my back as well.  It comes and goes but it feels like lactic acid build up in the muscles.  I walk very slowly and my legs fatigue very fast.  Anyway, I am waiting blood work but I'm stumped.  I am taking daily

2000-2500 mg Ca Citrate (with Vit D in upcal D and Citrical petites)
Subling B 12 - dot (500 mg)
B Complex 55 (55mg of all)
Liquid multi vit (am & pm)
Vit C 100 mg
ferro sequel iron (am & pm)
Vit E - dry 800 iu

I'm wondering if I could be over supplementing and getting into toxicity with something here?  Everything I read points to deficiency but at 13 weeks I'm wondering if I'm overdoing it?  Any feedback would be welcome.  Treading

Pam T.
on 12/15/08 10:02 am - Saginaw, MI
Hiya Treading - 

I'm sorry but I've never heard of myalgic pain.  Maybe one of the other members here who are more medical experts can help out.  We have many folks here who actually work in the medical profession that might have more insight.  Maybe post a new thread with "myalgic pain" in the subject line??

I hope the blood work reveals something that can take the pain away.  Your vitamin regimine looks good to me.  :-)

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

wendy_fou
on 12/8/08 11:48 am - AR

DAILY, I take:
1 prescription multi-vitamin (named Therobec)
1 prescription iron (named Tandem)
2 Super B-Complex vitamins
usually 6 sub-lingual B-12 (I just take 2 or 3 every time during the day I think of it.)
8 Citracal Plus (2 pills = 500 mg & I take 2 pills 4 times - spread evenly - throughout the day.)
4 chewable vitamin C (2 in the morning, 2 at night)

WEEKLY, I take:
1 prescription vitamin D

That is in line with the ASMBS recommendations. 

kirby1dog G.
on 12/15/08 7:37 am
Hello,
   If I read your post correctly, you are taking 4000 mg of calcium citrate daily.  I'm wondering if you've ever experienced muscle pain or bone aches?  I am having both and I don't have any explanation as yet (blood work results are pending).  But I was wondering if I might be taking too much Ca - I am taking 2000-2500 daily.  My doc thinks I'm crazy because it is more likely I'm Ca deficient.  Anyway, just wondering and thanks so much.  Treading
wendy_fou
on 12/15/08 8:10 am - AR
NO, I am taking 2000 mg of calcium citrate daily.  (A serving size of Citracal Plus is 2 tablets.  Each tablet is 250 mg, so 2 tablets in a dose would total 500 mg for that dose of 2 tablets.  So 8 tablets total per day would be 2000 mg per day.)

Initially post-op, I had bone aches (in my hips).  In MY case, my surgeon said it was vitamin D deficiency.  (I was vitamin D deficient as a pre-op according to my bloodwork, but I was not symptomati****il I was post-op.)  Taking a vitamin D prescription, along with the Citracal Plus (which has D in it) resolved it.  I have not had bone aches again.

I totally think  you're doing the right thing by supplementing the 2000 mg per day.  2500 may be a bit much for supplements alone (unless you get in no dairy).  I do 2000 mg from supplements alone and I eat dairy all the time.  (So I probably get in 2500 from supplements and food combined.  But you may not get in any dairy, so 2500 from supplements alone may be warranted in your case?)
BrownieGirl
on 12/17/08 8:31 am - Burbank, CA
I'm about 6 months out and my vitamin levels have been consistently excellent. I take:

Daily -

4 Nature Made Chewable Multi's
4 Viactiv Calcium Chews
5000mcg Biotin

Monday - Wednesday - Friday

1 B-12 sublingual
1 Vitamin A sublingual

prazzzhim
on 12/28/08 10:55 pm - marthasville, MO
beware:
the calcium viactive I believe is calcium carbinate & we only obsorb the calcium citrate
BrownieGirl
on 12/30/08 1:02 am - Burbank, CA
According to my surgeon, the difference between calcium carbonate and calcium citrate is that citrate is EASIER to absorb. That doesn't mean that we CAN'T absorb carbonate. I take the Viactiv with my surgeon's endorsement, and my calcium levels are outstanding.
Most Active