What's going on with my body???

scorpio01
on 12/1/08 7:06 am - Cincinnati, KY
RNY on 06/19/15
My body has me so confused lately.  For weeks now, I have been having lots of tummy trouble; bloating, horrible cramping pains, and gas.  I still am confused as to what is definitley causing all of this.  Prior to surgery, I was lactose intolerant.  As the years have gone on, I have tested those limits and actual grew out of that.  However, I am wondering if I have become sensitive to milk again.  Or could it be sugar?  I switched to using soy milk versus cow's milk in my coffee and am trying to elminate dairy other places.  However, I just realized that the unjury I use is whey based. 
I don't know what to do.  I have been writing down everything I eat and tracking how I feel for a few days.  I am going to continue that.  Has anyone gone through this before?

~Sara
Pam T.
on 12/1/08 12:31 pm - Saginaw, MI
 It does sound like lactose intolerance to me.  It's good that you're writing everything down and trying to figure out the offending food group.  you might want to enlist the help of your nutritionist -- she might have other ideas too.

As for whey protein.  I believe that Unjury is Whey Isolate Protein (check the label to be sure).  If so, then all the lactose has been removed from the protein during manufacture.  If the label shows 0g of sugar, then you're safe in assuming that there's no lactose (lactose is always listed on the nutrition label as sugar).  

However, even though whey isolate protein is lactose free, some people still have an intolerance for whey.  You can give soy or egg protein powder a try and see if that makes a difference.  

You might also consider the coffee/whey combination.  Are you mixing your protein powder in your coffee?  I absolutely love this combination - so tasty.  But I've recently figured out that my tummy doesn't like it (in fact, just came to that conclusion this morning).  I can do whey in a shake made with milk or juice.  I can do coffee alone with creamer and Splenda.   But when I put whey in my coffee, it's bad news.  I don't know why, it's the strangest thing and I'm still resisting it as true... but it seems to be the root of my upset tummy, shakiness and dizziness in the mornings.  

I hope you can figure out what the culprit is and get it wiped out.  Hope you're feeling better soon.

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Shelli61
on 12/1/08 7:23 pm - Evans, GA
I found that after surgery I was also lactose intolerant so I have periodically tried soy.  For me, I found the soy to have worse GI side effects so I can't do much soy at all.  The gas, bloating and cramps are very bad with soy.  I use Unjury and Whey Gourmet products (proten isolate which is very low in lactose) which have less side effects for me.  Also, I have used a dairy alternative called Almond Breeze.  It is made from almonds and is low in calories and carbs.  Tasted good too.  Even with those changes I still had some problems with gas.  By accident have found something that has helped tremendously for me.  Because of constipation I have tried every product out there.  Prior to surgery I would use psyllium powder (metamucil). Two weeks ago I started adding 2-3 tsp daily (drink it in 8oz of water each morning followed with 16oz of coffee - got to get plenty of water with this product).  I noticed after one week that my gas/bloating was very minimal and very regular.  This may not work for everyone but it has helped me.  Our GI tracts are so different after surgery.  It is going to take some experimenting to see what will work for you.  Good luck!  Shelli
Most Active