Hypoparathyroidism - PRE-OP

Lisa B.
on 12/1/08 6:47 am - Baltimore, MD
I'm taking a shot in the dark here, because I don't know if anyone can help me. Hypoparathyroidism is a very rare condition, which I have had since the age of 6.  I do not produce PTH, which means I have to take pills in order to absorb calcium.

The doctor I am considering for gastric bypass wants me to have the sleeve instead of RNY because of the potential that absorbing calcium can be even harder after RNY due to passing the intenstine.  But my thing is, if I take my pills like I always do, shouldn't my chances be just the same as anyone else? I would still need to take calcium and Vitamin D either way. I just may need more with the RNY.

I really do not want to have the sleeve because I need that malabsorption tool for weightloss. I just don't think I will lose as much with the sleeve. This has really discouraged me.
~*~Lisa B~*~  

Pam T.
on 12/1/08 12:23 pm - Saginaw, MI
Lisa - 

Here's a chart that helped me understand where certain nutrients are absorbed in a normal intestine ...  which also shows what vitamins will no longer be absorbed by the body in those same places.  The space between the red lines indicates the normal length of bypass after RNY.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwsammy/2471444310/sizes/o/in/set-72157605380269874/  
N
otice that both places where calcium is absorbed is now bypassed.  Because of that bypass we automatically have to take extra calcium above what a normal person has to take.  If I had all my parts in tact, i'd have to take about 800mg of calcium for my age.  But since I have been bypassed and I also take Depo Provera (which leaches calcium frombone) I'm taking 2000mg/day

How much calcium do you now take to make up for the lack of PTH?  Normally people after RNY need to take 1500-2000mg of calcim citrate supplement in addition to whatever calcium they get from food.  How much calcium will you need to take after RNY to make up for the hypoparathroidism and does your surgeon think that will be enough to avoid osteoporsis?  

My mom had RNY 5 years ago and she wasn't faithful with her calcium requirements... and when she did take her pills, they were the wrong kind of calcium.  Now, at age 54, she was diagnosed with osteoporsis with an 18.1% bone densit loss in her spine.  She has a very hard road ahead of her and I wouldn't want to wish her fate on anyone else who has had WLS.  

I can't tell you what to do.  Obviously this is a decision you'll need to make with the help and guidance of your surgeon, PCP, nutritionist and a whole truckload of research.  Good luck in your research.  Keep us posted on your decision.

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Jupiter6
on 12/10/08 5:11 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I have hyperparathyroidism-- my PTH is ridiculously high post op and I cannot absorb Vitamin D worth a damn.

If I were you I would give the RNY a second though. Gastric banding seems a much safer route.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Most Active