Is this normal?

shannonframe
on 11/30/08 6:26 am

Everything I eat, my body seems to handle. I have no nausea, no pain and I have never experienced dumping syndrome. I am scare that this is going to cause me to fail with my surgery. Sometimes I don't even feel like I ever had it.

paintpr
on 11/30/08 8:30 am - Byron, GA
I'm sorry.  What did you have done?  I had the lap band on 12 Nov.
June
shannonframe
on 11/30/08 8:38 am

RNY gastric by pass

Jennifer K.
on 12/1/08 3:30 am - Phoenix , AZ
I had surgery with DrMelkonian as well. I am 2.5 years out and never had nausea, pain or dumping - they are not a normal part of the surgery just possible side effects. The way for your to be successful with your surgery is to make the necessary changes in your life.
If you are not onto 'normal' foods yet you will notice a big difference when you get there - its much different eating solids than soft foods.. you will definately know you had surgery then.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

wendy_fou
on 12/2/08 2:01 am - AR
As long as you measure your meals by volume and stop at your prescribed volume (not weight, but VOLUME), you will not fail.

Do not make the mistake of eating until you "feel full".  Do not ever start drinking with your meals either.  These are the TOP TWO reasons for failure. 

(My surgeon caps his patients at about 1/2 cup of food - FOREVER.  If I continue to measure my food by volume up to 1/2 cup, eat my prescribed 4 times per day up to my prescribed 1500 calories per day, I should never gain my weight back.  Never drinking with my meals - waiting before and after meals to drink - will ensure that I don't get hungry too soon between meals.)

You can do it. 
(deactivated member)
on 12/4/08 10:59 pm - east falmouth, MA
I had my surgery on the 18th and feel the very same way... I am just going to try to do the regieme that my nutritionist recommends.
I am not so sure my stomach and my brain know what had been done yet... sort of a delayed response or something.  Anyway there is no way i can read my body signals just yet .  And even then I might be a bad judge of what is happening.
 I am on to mushy foods now and its even trickier...but I am still grateful for my non dramatic responses to the operation... hopefully my body is happy with my decision... we'll see...I think I am!
Most Active