how to maintain after surgery

cma
on 11/30/08 8:33 am
I had gastric bypass 11/07 & have passed my weight loss goal by 8 lbs.  How do I maintain now instead of continuing to lose?  What foods should I incorporate they I may not have thought about so far??  Thanks!
Jennifer K.
on 12/1/08 3:32 am - Phoenix , AZ
My NUTs maintenance plan calls for calories to be broken down to 30% protein, 40% carbs and 30% fat. She said to slow/stop weight loss add a single bread/starch carb serving (which in turn adds calories)... if you keep losing then keep adding making sure you follow the 30/40/30 balance. If you continue to drop a lot of weight you may need to add higher calorie protein shakes in etc, but talk to your surgeon if you are struggling and see what they suggest.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

wendy_fou
on 12/2/08 2:07 am - AR
If you want to STOP losing, it is as simple as increasing your calories.

Start increasing your calories in small amounts (50 calories a day).  Stay with that increase for a couple of weeks.  If the weight loss does not slow down or stop, keep increasing your daily caloric intake by 50 calories every couple of weeks until the weight loss slows to a stop. 

Be careful to do this SLOWLY.  This is where many people experience "bounce back".  They increase too quickly and go OVER what they need to maintain. 

A very EASY and very ACCURATE way to determine what your daily caloric intake should be is to get a MedGem test.  Many fitness centers / gyms offer then - especially if they have a RD on staff.  A MedGem test will tell you what amount of calories you would need to sustain your weight if your body was completely at rest (like in a coma or something).  Then you use a multiplier (which the RD or whoever will help you determine) based on your activity level to determine what amount of calories you need per day to maintain a certain weight.

My friend (who is also our support group leader) and I drove about 1.5 hours to get one from a RD at a gym / fitness center.  It was a flat $100 and came with a 1 hour consultation.  She was an expert in WLS patients though, so it was definately worth it.  My MedGem test results were SPOT ON.  It is definately worth the money in my opinion if you have that option where you are. 

Good luck! 
Most Active