Am I eating enough??

55FL5039
on 11/21/08 2:38 am - enfield, CT
Had surgery Aug 2006.  I was up to 380lbs.   I'm down to 250 and am stuck.  I haven't lost a thing in i6 months.  I started tracking what I was eating and found that I was really only getting around 800-900 calories per day.  Lots of protein, lots of water, walk for an hour each day.  I'd like to get down to 210-220.  I read an article about calculating body mass and figuring out my minimal caloric intake and was shocked to see I should be getting 1,600-1,700 calories per day!!  Almost double what I'm getting now.  I think my body has gone into starvation mode and that's why I'm not losing any more weight.  I tired to up my caloric intake and what a hassle.  I'm never really hungry and I'm finding it a real problem to eat that much food even spread out of 5-6 meals a day.
Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.  I'd really like to drop that last little bit of weight.
thank you........John
mystic
on 11/22/08 1:09 pm - manchester, NJ
i think you may well be in starvation mode.

your body is prob. holding on to all the weight it can if you are only getting 800 -900 calories. i would up your protein and calories in general, maybe add some protein shakes.

have you spoken to a doctor or nutritionist about this??  im sure if you  shake up your food plan a bit, the weight will start to come off again

be safe and well, jacki

Jennifer K.
on 11/23/08 11:42 pm - Phoenix , AZ
800-900 calories is extremely low in my opinion. I would call your surgeon/NUT for a follow up and have them help you with an eating plan. I also suggest getting a metabolism test to find out what *your* body needs - online calculators are inaccurant anywhere from 40-85% so its really not a great basis if you are serious about getting the weight off.
I had surgery around the same time as you and have to eat 1400-1800 calories just to maintain my weight - I eat 6 times a day... I am not hungry but I HAVE to do it, otherwise I have no energy, feel sluggish and eventually start losing weight again. I have a food schedule and stick to it - it took me a good 2-3 months after hitting goal of struggling to figure out how the heck to eat 1400-1800 calories when prior to that I was eating around 1000-1200... no choice thou, had to be done. I had to food log and keep making changes until I got it figured out. I googled and found a lot of good diet plans online for my calorie range and built a plan off that... I suggest trying that as well.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/08 10:38 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
I had surgery in Oct. 2005; I was at 386 day of surgery.  My average daily calorie intake for the past 4-6 months has been between 2200 and 2400 calories per day, with about 50% coming of calories from carbs, 25% from protein, 25% from fat.  I'm also generally an avid exerciser (~8-10 hours per week, split between strength training, cardio, and some yoga), so I usually burn 2000-2500 calories per week through exercise.  [I'm recovering from a tummy tuck right now, so have not been exercising at the gym, just walking a lot.] 

If you think you need to eat more calories to get things moving again but you have trouble getting in enough food, you need to find some foods that are more calorie dense.  Things like nuts, peanut butter, good fats, etc.  But be careful not to go overboard; try adding 100-200 calories per day for a 2-3 week period and see what happens.  It may take a while to find your "sweet spot," but it's worth the effort.  I got "stuck" at 220 pounds and it took me 3-5 months to figure out what I needed to do to keep losing, and even then losing that last 40 pounds was very slow (took about a year). 

Good luck on your continuing journey -

Kellie
Most Active