not eating enough to lose weight?

100249023 Not A
Number

on 11/14/08 10:10 pm - Canada
Im doing great in the gym i burn 1200 cals a week there,
i love running and the rowing machine.
but i dont think im eating enough, less then 1200 cals a days
and my fat intake i keep about 15 to 20 grams, that includes sat and trans fat.

i dont drink the 8 glasses of water a day.
im taking all my vitamins.

but why is it that i havent lost any weight for 4 months?
not one onze.?

do i need to eat more, cus i cant do it, unless i drink my calories.
Pam T.
on 11/16/08 1:41 am - Saginaw, MI
 Weight loss stalls and plateaus are very common after WLS -- or any type of weight loss program. We didn't gain weight steadily over the years and we will not lose weight every day or week when we're losing weight it's not going to melt off every day or week. It's frustrating, but it's all part of the process and we just have to be patient and work through these little bumps in the road.

But when the scale hasn't moved for a couple weeks or months - this is the perfect time to take a very close look at what we're doing and figure out if we need to make change. Have we allowed bad habits to creep back in or are there adjustments to routines that need to be made to jumpstart the weight loss again? Here's a list I typed up earlier:

• Are you tracking your food intake in a food journal? Is it on track?
  • Are you tracking every single calorie that passed your lips? (flavored water, vitamins, gum, single pieces of candy) Even if you aren't keeping track of calories, your body is!
  • Are you eating too MANY calories?
  • Are you eating too FEW calories?
  • Are you taking in enough protein? 80-100g/day
  • Are the fats you're eating healthy (polyunsaturated and monounsaturated)
  • Are you eating too many simple carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes, sugar, pasta, rice)
  • Are you eating enough fruits and veggies?
  • Are you drinking enough water (water flushes fat toxins from our body)?
  • Are you grazing?
  • Are you eating the right quantity? Measuring and weighting foods?
  • Are you eating on a schedule?
  • Are you exercising hard enough? Long enough? Fast enough?
  • When's the last time you changed your exercise routine? (The body becomes efficient and doesn't burn as many calories after we've done the same thing for 4-6 weeks)
  • Have you added weight training to your workouts? (muscle burns more calories at rest)
  • Are you taking all your vitamins and supplements?
  • Have you started taking any new medications that might promote weight gain?
  • Have you taken your measurements (you might be losing inches even if the scale isn't moving)

Also, here's a great post by DxE that has a ton of information that might trigger ideas in some other areas to break a plateau.

Hope this helps...

~Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

ShawnaC
on 11/17/08 7:16 am - Houston, TX
If you change it up a little bit, then you will see some changes. Increase your calories by a couple hundred and get in your water. That might make all the difference in the world.
"It's all about moderation, not deprivation"..........Shawna
Jennifer K.
on 11/18/08 5:17 am - Phoenix , AZ

When did you have surgery? Have you contacted your surgeon/NUT about the stall?
How are you figuring you are burning 1200 calories a week there? If you are relying on the machines at the gym they are inaccurate approx 40%... if you are using online calculators they are inaccurate approx 45-85% (obesity ups the inaccuracy amoung other factors.)

For your calories you need to look at how many carbs and how much protein you are eating in addition to the fat. Per my NUTs plan to lose weight it should be 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat. If you are working out a lot, especially weight training you may need more protein and more carbs. If you are eating the same ole foods over and over try switching it up - just like you get bored so does your body. It takes approx 6 weeks for your body to get use to an exercise routine, if you havent been switching it up its time - you can keep doing the same cardio but you need to change the intesity of it... try switching up to different machines/activities... different weight trainings etc.

You dont necessarily have to drink 8 glasses a day, but you need to be drinking enough water for *your* body... there are online water calculators that can help you - but if you are working out typically they reccomend MORE than 8 glasses... just aiming for the 8 may help you as well.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

100249023 Not A
Number

on 11/18/08 11:46 pm - Canada
i had surgry november 30th 2007, ive platued since august, i havent lost any inches either.
i do change my workout routine every few days, i had little changes,
i do eat a veriety of different foods all the time.

if the workout machines calorie burner counter is wrong 40% how do i find out how much im burning, is this true for the heart rate meters on the machines aswell?
what can i use or buy that can accurately tell me the calories im burning and my heart rate.?

how many calories should i burn in a week?
i watch the biggst loser show and seeing ppl lose 8 pounds a week is frustrating.
i wanna know the work out there on :D
Jennifer K.
on 11/19/08 5:05 am - Phoenix , AZ
I would first say to contact your surgeon/NUT to look over your eating.
When you say you are changing your workout routine every few days are you just referring to doing different things each day? When I say your body takes 6 weeks to get use to something I am meaning more like how hard your body has to work to run 1 mile.. over time you dont get the same 'burn' from running a mile, eventually you need to run faster, run longer, run hills etc to get the same burn... its important to mix it up and change intestity etc.
You cannot buy anything that can tell you the calories you are burning (to answer you the heart rate monitor should be accurate, their charts of fat burning zones, cardio zones may not apply to you, depends on metabolism)- you will have to figure that yourself. You can get a resting and exertion metabolism test that will tell you how many calories you burn at different heart rates - you can then use a heart rate monitor to see what zone you fall in and track yourself.
I cannot tell you how many calories to burn in a week - you should really be looking at your calories daily - if you are trying to lose weight its pretty much calories in versus calories out. You dont want to be too deficient because you need to eat enough for your body to work properly... if you are weight training you need to be eating enough for your muscles to recover... running you need the fuel etc - a metabolism test would tell you what range of calories to eat to lose weight, maintain weight or gain weight.  You can go to an online calculator to get an idea of what a 'normal' person of your height/weight/age/activity level should be eating. I would almost say if you are not losing weight at this point you need to eat more calories - 1200 is not all that high so you do not have much room to go down... simply adding another 100-200 calories a week may do the trick - its hard to say without knowing where your calories are comming from - thats why a NUT would be your best bet because they can suggest the changes the easiest based on their knowledge/experience.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Most Active