Pre-Op Diet

Mrs. Scarlet
on 11/15/08 7:01 am - KS
(Posted on other baords as well)
Is it OK to start the pre-op diet before ten days away from surgery? I have already started walking, doing crunches, and taking my Vitamin/mineral supplements. (Celebrate Pre-op/ and Calcium) I would like to loose some before I go in so my surgery risks are less, and I would like to start implementing my new eating habits now so it's not as hard when the time comes. (In theory). Has anyone done this, and do you have any suggestions?
Sandie Law
on 11/15/08 12:27 pm - Council Bluffs, IA
It's probably ok, but I wouldn't do it. I'm not sure what your surgeon's pre-op diet is (they're all different), but mine was hell. I was irritable, emotional, and forgetful. It was crazy. I couldn't imagine doing it for longer than I was required to.

If you want to lose weight beforehand, go for it...try a higher protein, lower carb diet. Lots of veggies and very little rice/pasta/bread. Stick to low fat options and drink tons of water. You won't be starving by the time your surgery comes around and you'll be far less likely to gnaw off your own arm during pre-op. :)
ShawnaC
on 11/17/08 7:13 am - Houston, TX
If you can do, then go for it! My pre-op diet was a 1000 calorie liquid diet for a week. It was difficult for me to get through.
"It's all about moderation, not deprivation"..........Shawna
Jennifer K.
on 11/18/08 5:11 am - Phoenix , AZ
I would talk to your surgeon... surgeons have different preferences on what they like their patients do to to prepare for surgery. While some surgeons do restrictive liquid diets, others think they are not beneficial and forog them.
You can implement some of your eating habits - cut out soda, junk, candy... eat healthier get some veggies, fiber in there etc... make the small changes now so you are not overwhelmed post-op... also not going thru withdrawls lol.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Mrs. Scarlet
on 11/18/08 7:30 am - KS
Thank you for your advice! I am talking to him on the 9th, but I think I should talk to him yet this week. It never hurts to ask!
(deactivated member)
on 11/25/08 11:19 pm - east falmouth, MA
I started 4 weeks instead of 2 weeks ahead,...and I allowed myself a few mess ups...I am very glad I did.  I lost a few extra pounds and didn't feel like a failure.   sort of thought that I would probably have some tough times so padded my time to make up for it.   I  gave in to cravings several times for the first 2 weeks...but the "diet" i was on kept the consequences of giving in to the cravings low...and by the "real 2 weeks I had that stuff out of my system.   It's a mental, physical and emotional thing....
I liked the little extra time to get it right....and am doing great post op so far...1 week
Mrs. Scarlet
on 11/26/08 2:37 am - KS
Good for you!! And I am happy to hear you made it through surgery Ok! I am starting my liquid diet this friday. I LOVE thanksgiving, and I'm choosing to see that as my "last meal"..lol. I don't have to start until the 12th, but like you I need to have some room to get used to everything!
SO how are you feeling?? Do you know how long you will be on liquids etc?? Please keep me posted..and again...I am SO happy that you got through surgery ok!
(deactivated member)
on 11/26/08 11:09 pm - east falmouth, MA
Ms Scarlet..I feel great!  you will too.  It's not just physical stuff...which at this point os just a little sorenes and the need to sleep more:  It's the mental thing too... This time the weight will be gone for good.  the futility factor that has been wearing me down my whole life has been removed...
I am thinking that this time..if i do what i need to...I will succeed! 
I have lost large chunks of weight several times... like 50 to 70 pounds... and it always just returned. 
Before it was always hard to get my hopes up..I would work my asses off dieting ..loose weight, and then no matter what i seemed to do..or kept doing it ALWAYS crept back.   I found that the older I got the easier it came back on without my overeating...Sometimes i helped, yes, but for the most part my overeating days have been over for the last at least 10 years or so.
...I mean seriously..how does a body gain weight back when eating a perfect 26 point weigh****chers diet and no cheating at all...all while walking my 5 dogs for about 2 miles a day!  A 17 month plateau...wtf..my system is wacked out.!
I come from a long line of 5 foot by 5 foot people..and they live to a whopping 62 or so...not good..I am so grateful for this option I can't even communicate it..  I feel like belting out Amazing Grace or something. 

off my ranting though..I did have a few last suppers..and loved them... And I hghly recommend my pre op with benefits diet ...The all or nothing seemed likely to fail but when I extended the timeframe I felt better about it all and managed to actually suceed.. 

I am 1 more week on liquids..( my doc is one of the strictest around..) it's ok..It's actually hard to get it all in...there is just no body hunger...It's much easier than the pre op and about the same less the salads I got to have then.   
And....10 pounds gone... So that is like 15 on the pre op and 10 since surgery...not bad..and I havent even started exercising yet  woo hoo...
Have a great turkey day... and be encouraged... this is great!
Mrs. Scarlet
on 11/27/08 11:11 am - KS
I hear what your saying..believe me! I was on a Dr's. Diet, that allowed me 700 calories a day. I did what I was supposed to do...and at my first visit, I had lost a pound and a half...in 10 days. I was devestated. And I never went back. Please keep me posted..I love hearing from you and reading your posts...and by the way awesome job on the weight loss!
(deactivated member)
on 11/27/08 11:13 pm - east falmouth, MA
well all said..the surgery is what people like us need and i am grateful for it!  good luck to you too!  you will do great !
Most Active