Plateau?

Robitaille09657
on 11/9/08 12:11 pm - Dillsburg, PA
I had surgery about six months ago. No matter what I do, my weight loss seems to have stalled or I gain weight. I jog/walk anywhere from 4 to sometimes 7 miles a day at least 6 days a week and my calorie intake is usually 600-700 or less.  My surgeon said that I should be eating anywhere from 1,000-1,200. That seems like its too much for me. If I eat 600 calories a day and exercise I gain weight, if I eat close to 1,000 calories and exercise I gain weight...WHY????? What do I need to do to continue losing weight?
Jennifer K.
on 11/12/08 5:34 am - Phoenix , AZ
600-700 calories at 6 months out seems awfully low to me as well - if you are walking 4-7 miles a day 6 days a week especially - I agree with your surgeons 1000-1200 calories. You say you are gaining weight, but are you truly? The scale naturally can go up and down up 5lbs, if the scale goes up and stays up thats an issue (Id say at least 2-3 weeks or longer)... however if you are just seeing it go up a few days or a week I would say stick to it. 
It also matters where your calories are comming from... 1000-1200 healthy calories is much different than 1000-1200 cruddy calories. My NUTs plan would call for your calories to be 40% protein, 30% fat and 30% carbs. I am not sure your surgeons feeling about carbs but if you are exercising that much (especially weight training) then you need the carbs. The carbs should be mainly veggies, fruit, dairy and lastly starch/bread - for 1000-1200 calories it would be 1-2 starch/bread servings a day. Try and eat every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism going and to keep hunger at bay. Also it takes your body approx 6 weeks to get use to a workout routine - instaed of going 7 miles perhaps go 3 miles and speed walk or start a slow run... there are a lot of good walking/running programs out there that will help to get your body burning calories.
I think a few simple changes will get you going again, do not be afraid of eating, food is fuel for your body, your body cannot run properly without it.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

wendy_fou
on 11/12/08 1:11 pm - AR
At 6 months out, I was eating about 800 calories per day if memory serves.  I didn't increase to 1000 calories per day until I was right about a year out.  (I increased to 1200 after that.  Now I'm at 1500 which I am maintaining at.)  But that' just me and everyone is different.

If you are jogging/walking 4 to 7 miles per day, 6 days a week and your calorie intake is only 600 - 700, I think that may be part of your problem.  (That is a lot of calories being burned to only be taking in 600 - 700 calories per day.)  HOWEVER, more info is needed to determine exactly what else may be going on.

Do you get in all your protein daily?  Inadequate protein intake can cause the body to burn muscle while retaining fat mass.  Loss of muscle lowers your BMR, meaning you will burn less and less calories, meaning that you will not be able to consume as many calories in the long run without gaining. 

Of those 600 - 700 calories per day, what is your % calories from fat / carbs?  Fat and carbs are just as important as protein.  Carbs allow your body to USE the protein it is getting.  As much exercise as you are doing, you're going to kill yourself without adequate carbs.

Are you getting in all your fluids?  Fluids help flush the fat from your body and keep things moving the way they should.  I won't go into my fluid lecture, because I assume you're probably getting enough of that. 

Are you taking all your vitamins - especially vitamin D and calcium?  Vitamin D deficiency and/or low calcium levels can cause inadequate weight loss or even weight gain.

How many meals are you eating every day?  Do you space your meals out evenly throughout the day to keep your metabolism up?  WLS can really do a number of your metabolism.  It is important to space your meals out throughout the day as evenly as possible to keep your metabolism up.  I eat first thing in the morning to "kick-start" mine.  

Have you considered weight training INSTEAD of some of that walking/jogging?  Building muscle will raise your BMR which will lead to more calories being burned no matter what you are doing? 

Have you tried just switching stuff up?  Some people swear by just switching what they eat around (peanuts to almonds) or what exercise they do (pilates to yoga). 

Also, are these true stalls?  A stall is really only a stall when you're not losing pounds OR inches.  Have you measured to see if you're losing inches? 

Also... how long has this "stall" lasted?  Stalls are common among WLS post-ops (or really anyone who loses such rapid amounts of weight in such a short period of time).  The reason for this is simple.  Extremely rapid weight loss is a shock to the body.  Your heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, etc need time to adjust.  Some stalls are not only HEALTHY, but NECESSARY.  They give the body time to adjust. 

I'm sure you're not done losing yet.  Don't worry.  Good luck! 

Wen
Most Active