what's wrong with caffeine?

jerseyros3
on 11/7/08 6:11 pm
So, I'm about 3 weeks post-op, and doing really great with my diet, but I still have some questions about why we must stay away from certain things, like caffeine. What does it do to us?
Thanks
Kelly
queenlatta
on 11/8/08 4:31 am - Latta, SC
I believe it's because caffeine acts as a diuretic.  We have such an issue about keeping hydrated, the caffeine works against us. 
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all for the glory of God"  ICorin 10:31
mystic
on 11/8/08 7:39 pm - manchester, NJ
ok there are a couple of things to remember.

one, caffeine leaches other fluids from our bodies and the big NO at an early stage, is that our pouches are healing and coffee can slow that healing because it is hard on the system.

as you get further out, you will prob. be able to tolerate caffeine again.  in the early months, actually to this day, i mix my regular and decaf coffee before i brew it, to cut the amount of caffeine im taking in.

overall, its just better for us in the long run, and not just because of the surgery. 

also when using regular coffee, you need to increase your water consumption, the usual amount ive seen is two extra glasses of water for each cup of coffee.

so thats the scoop!!

be safe and well and good luck on your journey, jacki

B. Cessna
on 11/9/08 10:06 am - Gettysburg, PA
wow, I didn't know that about cofee, great info!

*Confidence is feeling satisfied with who and what we are*

TugBoatAnnie
on 11/10/08 8:25 pm - FL
Lap Band on 02/29/08 with
Kelly:  My NUT says it is because the caffeine depletes your calcium level.  We have to be careful about getting enough of all our needed vitamins since surgery - I take 1 caltrate petite supplement a day - and still have my coffee - I figured if I use to have coffee before and did not take a supplement maybe this way it will balance it all out.  I just will not give up my coffee without a fight!   ha ha ha

The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph!
'Ability determines what you can do- Motivation determines what you will do-  ATTITUDE determines how well you will  do it.'

avidreader
on 11/11/08 10:56 am - Cary, NC
Caffeine also has acid in it and can cause ulcers - a bad thing for our little pouches.
This is in addition to the diuretic effect and the calcium leaching.
I especially would not have it early out.  I am 7.5 months out and still do decaf.   Once in a while I have mixed half decaf and half high octane but I don't want to make a habit of it.

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
Most Active