Counting grams of protein

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/08 12:38 am - Milwaukee, WI
Another question.... How do I know how many grams of protein in the chicken and fish I eat?  This seems like a really stupid question to me and something I should know but I don't.  My calorie book has fat and calories and carbs but not protein content.  Is it a certain amount per ounce of meat?  Duh!  I am out of it today. 
Pam T.
on 11/3/08 2:04 am - Saginaw, MI
Unfortunately calorie books don't have protein grams.  I hate that!  You  need to look up the information online -- I use www.fitday.com.  It's a food log program that I use to keep track of everything I eat in the day.

As a general rule of thumb, you can count 1oz of lean protein as 7g of protein.  This works for beef, chicken, pork, turkey as long as it's just the lean portion of the meat (no fat or bone). 

HTH
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/08 2:28 am - Milwaukee, WI
Thank you Pam! I knew I could count on you for a reply. 
From what you said, then I am relieved to know I'm doing okay on my protein.  I'm going to sign up at fitday.com.  I was there a couple of times looking stuff up... it's way better than calorieking.com and it looks pretty simple for keeping track of food.
Pam T.
on 11/3/08 3:22 am - Saginaw, MI
I do love FitDay.  The first couple weeks of using it might be a bit cumbersome... but once you get your regular foods inputed you can use the "Recent Foods" list and just add everything at once.  I tend to eat the same things over and over again, so all my food is in that list most of the time.  I also love that you can input your own custom foods -- if you can't find something in the database, you can just enter it directly from the food label.

Not sure if this is working again or not... but FitDay is sister sites with www.DietFacts.com.  This is a list of food from restaurant menus and name brand foods... when you find what you're looking for, there's a button at the bottom of the screen that says "Add to FitDay" -- it creates a custom food in your fitday account for you and it's there forever.  When FitDay upgraded a couple months ago that option had to be rebuilt on Diet Facts' end... so not sure if it's back u*****t, but last I checked they were still working on it.

Have fun!
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/08 5:43 am - Milwaukee, WI
Pam,

I already started using FitDay.  You're right... it's a little bit of a hassle entering some of the foods I eat regularly but once they're in there... then it should be easy to keep track!   I'll have to check out dietfacts.com as well.  Thanks for all the info!!!!  I really appreciate it. 
Heidi S.
on 11/5/08 4:55 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Pam, thanks for the fitlady link. I am pre op but I am going to start using it now

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Most Active