Calories per day?

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/08 12:32 am - Milwaukee, WI
I still have not had my followup with my nut since my surgery 6 weeks ago due to schedule changes (their's, not mine).... and I'm at a loss for how many calories a day I should be taking in.  I don't want to eat too much.... and I'm not particularly hungry anyway but I also don't want to eat too few.  Ugh!  What do the rest of you eat?
debbieposner
on 11/3/08 1:04 am
My nutritionist refused to give me a calorie number, and stressed grams of protein.

I'm in my 12th week postop, and find that I've been eating between about 550 and 650 calories a day. It depends on how efficient (!) my proteins are that particular day.

When I say "efficient", I mean, calories per gram of protein. Since our most efficient sources of protein are rarely "cheaper" than 5 calories/gram of P (1% cottege cheese, for example, or water-packed white-meat tunafish and skinless light-meat chicken [5+ calories/gram of P]), I try to stick with these more efficient proteins. (Fat-free milk, for example, is 10 calories per gram of protein, baked salmon is 9.4 cal/g of proteint, and lean steak is 7.6 calories per g of protein).

I use a wonderful journal ($16.95 at B&N) to keep track of my intake: "DietMinder--Personal Food and Fitness Journal" (MemoryMinder Journals is the publisher). It allows me to track quantities, calories, proteins, fiber, and if I wanted to (I don't bother), cholesterol, fat, sugar, and carbs.

Anyhow, I try very hard to consume between 60 and 70 grams of protein/day, and find that I've never been hungry.

I hope this is useful. Good luck.

Debbie
Jennifer K.
on 11/5/08 10:14 pm - Phoenix , AZ
Its hard to say, I would call the office and ask or ask another patient. The calorie guideline depends on surgeon and what surgery you had (with RNY also how much you had bypassed).
At 2 weeks out I had a calorie intake change to 600-800, it didnt change again until 3 months out when I moved to 'normal' eating.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/08 12:28 am - Milwaukee, WI
Well I finally see my Nut today (in a couple of hours) so I can finally find out how much food I should be consuming.  We'll see what she says.
Most Active