Vegeterian

szymbal
on 10/30/08 12:08 pm - montreal, Canada
Hi,

So I am new to the board and scheduled for a RNY Nov. 24th 2008.  I am a vegeterian (although I eat milk and eggs), and I was wondering how hard it was going to be to keep up with the protein requirement post-op.  I am also quite tall, so my minimum protein requirement is 90g.  Seems like a lot of tofu.

Also, what's the deal with the Starbucks Vivanno drinks?  At present I am totally addicted -- they are my favorite meal replacement.  Are they too high in sugar for after surgery?  And does anyone know if they are the "good proteins"?

Thanks.  You guys are awesome for being here.

S....
zookeeper711
on 11/2/08 1:47 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi, S!

I don't seem to have a problem.  I get in 70-100 grams of protein a day, but that includes one protein shake made with milk instead of water.    I'm big on string cheese, Fage (greek yogurt) and non-fat cottage cheese.  Then I will have a snack of one of the many Kashi bars.  Morningstar Farms (?) keeps me supplied with a variety of foods (esp Eggs Florentine nuggets!).

Good luck on your journey.  Godspeed and a quick recovery!

-Zook-

viewimage.aspx.jpg

penthilisea
on 11/13/08 11:11 am - Milford, NJ
MMm greek yogurt....

The starbucks vivanno is 16 ounces of 250 calories or more, for only 16 grams of protein or so, with a lot of sugar.

The idea of fruit/protein smoothies is an easy one to make at home. I highly reccomend the Vega Smoothie Infusion, as it is vegan and 14 grams of protein per serving, plus fiber etc and NO bad taste!

The trick is getting in 90 grams of protein into a tiny pouch in 24 hours! Best of luck!
glitter graphicsglitter graphicsglitter graphics

Mal: "Well, my days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." "Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt" Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

szymbal
on 11/13/08 11:53 am - montreal, Canada
At the beginning at least, I think I am going to rely on a lot of protein shakes/protein-supplementes water, or soup.  That way I get fluid AND protein at the same time.

I am 6'4"  so I can see that both of those are going to be alittle hard, at least at first.

BTW, Is greek yogurt = Fage yogurt = Balkan yogurt?  ANd how much protein do they have anyways?  Can't I have regular, plain yogurt?

Thanks!

Start weight/preop weight/current weight/goal weight
335/322/190-200/189

redhead_324
on 11/17/08 7:25 pm - egg harbor township, NJ
Hi-  I eat a lot of greek yogurt-its got so much more protein compared to regular yogurt because it is concentrated-the whey is removed.  I buy Oikos greek yogurt- a 5.3 oz cup plain has no fat, 90 cal, and 15 gm Protein.  I also make lots of vegetarian stews and chili using beans and meatless crumbles from Boca, Morningstar Farms and Lightlife.  For snacks I eat soy crisps, dry roasted soynuts and edamame.  I don't have a problem eating vegetarian and getting enough protein.   Donna
szymbal
on 11/18/08 12:21 am - montreal, Canada
Thanks Donna!

I will have to keep an eye out for YOUR yogurt.  My Balkan has only 4 g of protein, with 7 g of fat and 100 cal.... That's why I want to eat my regular yogurt.  But I will try a different grocery store and see what I can find.

Are you taking protein shakes?

S....

Start weight/preop weight/current weight/goal weight
335/322/190-200/189

redhead_324
on 11/18/08 7:39 am - egg harbor township, NJ
Hi-I don't use protein shakes anymore but I used them during my first year when nothing would stay down.  I used Proscore 100 protein drink (chocolate) because it had a good taste, high protein and thickened like a shake when its mixed.  My surgery was 5 1/2 yrs ago, I lost over 120 lbs, I'm weighing 128 lbs and quite happy but simple carbs are my downfall and if I avoid them, then I am OK.  Complex carbs for me.  Donna
Most Active