Protein question

ayoung77
on 10/30/08 3:31 am
Hello all,

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I'm new to all this. See I'm still in the beginning stages of everything. My consult is not until Nov 13, but I know he'll want me to lose weight before surgery. But anyways, I was wondering if the protein shakes that everyone is speaking of are like slim fast shakes. Can I use these shakes (whey, unjury...) to help me lose weight if I use them for meal replacements. I'm so confused! Please school me. thanks!
Pam T.
on 10/30/08 9:21 am - Saginaw, MI
 Hello and welcome!  Congrats on your consult - it's the same day as my 1 year anniversary of my surgery.  :-)

Please remember that no question is stupid.  Please feel free to ask anything here, we have all been at the beginning stages when we were just starting to learn the lingo. 

Slim Fast makes a low carb version of their ready to drink (RTD) shakes and I use them sometimes when I don't have time to make a shake from scratch.  You want to pick something that is high in protein, low in carbs and very little sugar (less than 5g) and very little fat (less than 5g). Some of the RTD shakes may have a higher sugar content if it's mixed with milk because milk has natural sugars (lactose) - so keep that in mind when reading labels.  

Whey Isolate Protein is the highest quality protein powder available.  Isolate will not have sugar or fat (or maybe 1-2g each sometimes) and is pure protein.  You mix it with water, milk, juice or crystal light or whatever. Obviously you're getting a higher quality of protein with a powder that you mix yourself.

My personal favor protein shake (of the moment)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
4-5 frozen strawberries
1 cup crystal light (whatever flavor is mixed up in the fridge)
Blend until thick and smooth like a milk shake.

NOW... about the pre-op diet.  Yes, you'll probably have to lose weight before surgery.  But doing protein shakes might not be the best option at this point.  You'll basically be following a low-carb, high-protein diet after surgery -- similar to South Beach or a Diabetic diet.  So that's probably the best route to go with for now.  You'll want to work on portion control, weighing and measuring your food, logging everything you eat to get a handle on what nutrients different foods have and learning to eat on a specific schedule (usually 3 meals and 2 small snacks).  These are habits you'll need to learn after surgery, so it's a good idea to start now with these habits.   I followed a diet of about 1200-1500 calories/day, 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat.  That's very much what I do now but with fewer calories. 

Once you get closer to surgery your doctor will probably have you do a pre-op liquid diet.  Some do 2 or 3 weeks, some longer, some shorter.  Liquid diets that are basically all protein is not a healthy way to lose weight unless you are under close supervision of your surgeon ... so I wouldn't recommend doing that until you have that discussion at your consult.  

Good luck
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

ayoung77
on 10/30/08 10:48 pm
Thanks Pam. You are very knowledgeable. I love this site. I get all the information I need from here. I will definitely try the Southbeach diet starting Monday. Thanks again for your help, and I'll probably be contacting you again.
Most Active