1 year *at GOAL* What do i eat? What is a schedule? Xpost

Veronnie
on 10/29/08 7:36 am - Castro Valley, CA
Hi all,
I am past my year surgiversary, and passed my doctor's goal for me. I have hit a plateau these last 2 weeks and am staying between 214-218. My 1 year doctor apt is next friday and will be talking with him about all of this below.

I have gotten side tracked and want to get back to the right way. I haven't been watching what I eat much, just paying attention to protien first basically. I dont drink with meals, watching that very closely! I take my vitamins and excersize regularly.

I was wondering the following questions:
1- How much volume should we be eating at a meal? It can't be the 4 oz. any more. I was thinking a cup to a cup and a half of food.
2- Can I go by the nutritional pyramid? What system should I go by? IE: how much meat/carb/veg/fruit/fat should I be getting in?
3- Does anyone have a typical schedule of how their day goes? Like when they take their vitamins, what they eat and when, when they excersize, etc?

I hope someone can answer, I really would like to know what everyone does at Goal. THANKS!!!!

H: 6'2; HW: 440; WLS: 411; Dr. Goal: 220; LW: 206; CW: 283; RNY: 10/15/07; Panni: 6/12/09; Blind Loop: 8/19/19

wendy_fou
on 10/29/08 12:10 pm - AR
Everyone is different.

My surgeon has a VERY high long term success rate, so I follow his plan like it is GOSPEL. 

He caps his patients volume intake at 1/2 cup (which we work up to over the first 3 or 4 months - although it took me to about 6 months) - although we are allowed to "occassionally" go over 1/2 cup.  (I rarely go over 1/2 cup because I have that barrier in my mind that I have just gotten "used to".)  I absolutely NEVER make the mistake of eating until I feel "full": I know better.

I will never go by the nutritional pyramid (any of the versions).  I go by my surgeon's recommended % of calories from fat/calories/carbs.  When I hit maintanance, my surgeon recommended 1500 calories.  25% of my calories should come from fat, 25% of my calories should come from protein and 50% of my calories should come from carbs.  I stick within 5% of those goals at all times - staying as close to the actual prescribed % as possible.  I get some fruits and vegetables in my diet every day - although I am not as strict about actual # of servings.  As long as I get in SOME fruits and SOME vegetables every day, I don't worry about # of servings. 

I eat 4 times per day, every 4 hours.  I eat first thing in the morning as soon as I wake up, then every 4 hours after that.  This keeps my blood sugar level.  It has also kept my metabolism from slowing to a stop while I was in my very low calorie phase (while I was losing). 

I take all my vitamins (except my iron) as soon as I start drinking an hour after breakfast.  In addition to 1 500 mg dose of calcium I take with all my other vitamins an hour after breakfast, I take 3 more 500 mg doses of calcium after each of my other 3 meals during the day (an hour after each meal, I take the calcium as soon as I start drinking because that is the easiest way to space out my calcium doses throughout the day as recommended).  I take my iron late at night or in the middle of the night when I get up to pee.  I chew up 2 vitamin C with the iron.  Sometimes I'll take 2 vitamin C in the mornings too if I'm feeling like I'm going to get a cold or getting over a cold. 

Currently I don't exercise.  I used to walk for an hour a day until I developed an injury to my foot and the foot doctor told me I couldn't walk for exercise anymore or he'd "put me in a boot".  So I haven't exercised in a few months since the plantar faccitis diagnosis, etc.  (Although I do LOVE walking and will probably try to get back to it when it starts getting warmer again.)

That is what maintaining is like for me and I love it!!!
Veronnie
on 10/30/08 7:37 am - Castro Valley, CA
Wow, thank you very much! How is your weight loss going on this schedule?

H: 6'2; HW: 440; WLS: 411; Dr. Goal: 220; LW: 206; CW: 283; RNY: 10/15/07; Panni: 6/12/09; Blind Loop: 8/19/19

wendy_fou
on 10/30/08 9:10 am - AR
I started at 255.4 pounds. 

At 6 months post-op, I had lost to 161.8 pounds (a little over 80% towards my own personal goal of 140 pounds). 

At 8 months post-op, I had lost to 147 pounds (a little over 90% towards my 140 pound goal). 

At 10 months post-op, I had lost to 134.4 pounds (past my personal goal).

At 12 months post-op, I had lost to about 128 - 129 pounds.

I am currently at about 125 pounds.
Veronnie
on 10/30/08 9:17 am - Castro Valley, CA
Wow, that's great! Awesome success for you!

wendy_fou
on 10/30/08 9:20 am - AR
Thanks!
Most Active