I can't eat anything but liquids, suppose to be on soft foods.

mmadragon
on 10/21/08 4:59 am
Hello,

I am here looking for help. I am really frustrated and really deep in regret. I don't want to feel that way, but I can't eat anything. I had my RNY surgery on 9/29/08. My doctor told me on the 14th of this month to start soft foods. Once I tried soft foods though, I threw it up, everytime. I called him back and told him this and he said that it was normal, that my new stomach was probably still inflamed and to just go back to liquids for a week. I am so hungry. I really just want to "eat" something, not drink it. I am in bad need of some support. I am feeling really depressed and I find myself wishing that I had never gotten the surgery, wishing for my old stomach back. I know deep down that this is just temporary, but I am wondering how long will I have to stay on liquids? Is there anything else I can try? Is there anybody else out there that has experienced this and can inform me on what to do?

Erin
Pam T.
on 10/22/08 12:36 am - Saginaw, MI

Erin -
I'm so sorry you're having such a difficult time.  Regret is absolutely normal -- it's called buyers remorse -- and it'll pass soon.  You're going through such a diffcult emotional transition and to add a physical problem on top of all the crazy emotions makes it so much harder. 

You need to contact your surgeon today.  Call them every day if you have to.  They should be right on top of your issues and helping you work through them until you can transition to soft foods.  If you get to the point where you can't keep any food down, have him check you for any medical issues like a stricture.  Don't let him brush you off... stay on his butt until he helps you get through this.

Have you tried to do soft foods again since the 14th?  You might want to give it a try and see how it works.  What types of foods have you tried eating so far?  Are you taking teeny tiny bites (the size of a pencil eraser) and chewing those soft foods at least 25 times before swallowing?  Are you able to keep liquids down alright?  Just clear liquids or can you deal with full liquds (protein shakes, yogurt, pudding, etc.)? 

Also remember that you will NOT be feeling real hunger at this point.  The nerves in your stomach were cut during surgery and it takes anywhere from 3 months to 18 months for them to heal and start working again.  So right now there is no communication between your stomach and your brain... so no hunger.  Any hunger you're feeling right now is head hunger - it's all mental.   Your body remembers that you've always eaten before... so it's sending the memory of a hunger signal and cravings to make you want to eat.  This is the time when you have the opportunity to get  a handle on cravings and the mental side of eating.  Eventually you'll be able to recognize the difference between real physical hunger and head hunger. 

Make sure you're getting in all your protein needs and experiment with soft foods.  If you try something and it makes you sick, take the rest of the day off and go back to full liquids.  But get right back at it the next day and try some different soft food the next day.  It's a lot of hard work and takes a lot of patience... but you're stronger than this feeling of defeat and dispair.  You are strong!  You can do it!

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

mmadragon
on 10/22/08 10:47 pm

Pam,

I talked with my surgeon yesterday. He ordred a swallow test for me so that he could make sure nothing was blocked or restricted. I went to the hospital and had the test done and everything looked fine. He ordered me a presription nausea medicine that melts under your tongue. It's suppose to last eight hours. He said other than that, some people just stay nauseus for a while after they have had surgery. I guess I'm one of those lucky people. I have been eating oatmeal with no problem. I can eat some other soft foods too, but I just have to try and see. Sometimes my stomach likes it and sometimes it doesn't. Yogurt doesn't seem to bother me. I am taking small bites and making sure that I chew everything really really well. I have been taking my protein shakes and my vitamins. I guess I am having a lot of head hunger. Everything I see on TV looks delicious, whether I like it or not. I am trying to be really strong and not think about food so much, I try to keep positive. I really appreciate your reply and your support. I hope you are doing well.

Thanks!
Erin

Most Active