Confused about amount of carbs to eat

mombunz
on 10/16/08 8:45 pm - Laurel Springs, NJ
RNY on 08/26/08 with

I am just about 2 months post-op from have laporscopic RNY.  I realize I must consume mostly high protein foods, I am confused about the amount of carbs to eat.  Also, I am not sure about the serving size of anything.  I usually let my pouch tell me if I am full and I'm not sure if I am eating too much.  Please shed some light on this topic for me. 
Thank you.
Michele

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/17/08 6:43 am
You need to talk to your nut.  Every doc office is different.

I can not tell you what you need to do, but I can tell you what my nut makes us to eat since 2 months post op:
1. 5 meals + protein supplements
2. no more than 4 oz solid food at a meal
3. at least 2 oz or protein - dense (meat, cheese, etc) then some carbs in form of vegetables, or whole grain food
4. not counting carbs: just make sure you have your protein first.  Stop eating when you eat 4 oz (volume) food.  Even if you are not full.    No pasta, no bread, no other simple carbs - they can be added in moderation after reaching goal. No soft drinks. No simple sugars.
5. no drinks with meals, at least 15-30 min before, 30-60 min after
Drink 48-64 oz of water a day (liquids), no caffeine - but if you have that - make sure you drink an additional cup of water for every cup of caffeinated drink.  No more that 1 cup decaffeinated drink per day (counts as a liquid)

take vitamins.

She told us that the meals shall be on average app 200 cal each, with and additional protein supplement of 200 cal.  Giving a total of 1000-1200 cal per day.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mombunz
on 10/19/08 8:50 pm - Laurel Springs, NJ
RNY on 08/26/08 with

Thank you so much for your suggestions.  It is really helpful for me.  I need to find a good nutritionist in my area.  Michele

Most Active