something new for breakfast

gigglechat
on 10/16/08 12:50 pm - Canal Fulton, OH
I have been advised by my surgeon to eat an egg for breakfast every morning.  I am not an egg fan and can hardly take eating another egg.  The dietitian suggested fat free refried beans for breakfast........not a morning food for me.  I am 9 weeks post op, have only lost 38 pounds in 9 weeks and surgeon wants more results.  Any suggestions for breakfast that does not include egg, beans or protein shake?  Pleasssseeeeee!  Thanks,
Pam T.
on 10/16/08 11:35 pm - Saginaw, MI

My pouch is not a morning person.  :-)  And it has decided it doesn't like eggs either, which isn't any great loss for me. 

There's no rule that says you have to eat breakfast food for breakfast.  So eat whatever works for you.  Here are some things I choose:

Kroger brand Carb Master Yogurt w/ granola or fiber cereal
12g protein

Grapes and cheesestick
8g protein

Deli sliced turkey and grapes (can you tell I love grapes?)
10-15g protein

Quaker Weight Control instant oatmeal
7g protein

Protein Bar
10-20g protein (depending on brand)

My pouch does not like solid food first thing in the morning, so I have to start the day with a protein shake.  I make one in the morning (7am) and drink it on my 90 minute commute to work.  Then around 10am I'll eat breakfast at my desk with one of the above choices.   All my breakfast choices must be "on the go" friendly or be able to be stored in the work fridge or my desk drawer.
Good luck
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Pam T.
on 10/16/08 11:47 pm - Saginaw, MI
Just remembered..... A couple other options is to cook stuff ahead of time and have it all week.  These recipes below usually make 3 or 4 servings of each:

Vanilla Egg Custard --  Yes it has eggs in it, but it's sweet and yummy like custard so it's not really "eggs".  I lived on this stuff for the first couple months after surgery.  So yummy!

Also, Eggface has a TON of recipes that would be great for breakfast foods.  Here's a few links:

Protein Ice Cream (yes, I was on a huge kick this summer and ate ice cream nearly every morning for breakfast for about 3 months)

Bars -- this recipe is for an apple oat bar, but if you check her other posts around the time of this one you'll find several different variations of this same recipe.

Strawberry Apple Crumble -- these things are fantastic!  You can use any type of fruit and when you add protein powder to the crumble topping, it turns into a fruit "pie" that is WLS friendly. Again, check for other variations of this same recipe - there are a ton.

Protein Souffle -- this is one I haven't tried yet but really want to.  Might need to go out and buy eggs, just so I can make this.  This link of for the pumpkin one, but the banana bread one looks great too.

Ok, now I am hungry and want to go cook stuff.....

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/17/08 7:02 am
My pouch hates mornings and gives me most trouble that time of the day.
After trial and errors this is what can I have:
1. coffee protein shake - decaff - hot/warm  (if it is cold - no way)
2. protein ice cream (when it was hot, now - not so much)
3. Yogurt with and extra protein powder, and other flavoring.  Eating that very slowly
4. chicken stock with protein powder
5. high protein oatmeal 

So far the first 4 has been the only food my pouch tolerates in the morning.  Anything else - not so much - I can understand your aversion to eggs, though I loved them pre-op.   

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Richard S.
on 10/20/08 5:20 am - Forsyth, IL
Kind of picky now, aren't you?. No more chocolate frosted sugar bombs with whole milk, huh?
Quiche is a form of egg that may be more palatable than plain egg. I like cottage cheese with pico de gaillo(sp?) or uncooked oatmeal added for fiber. tofu blended in creamed soup.  I assume you can eat solid food now so chicken or grilled pork chop are tasty at breakfast but I do not like beef before lunch.

Good luck to you
Rich
Richard S.
on 10/20/08 5:43 am - Forsyth, IL
Having read my reply I hope I didn't come across as harsh and apologise if I did. I was just trying to be funny. Your posting made it sound like you do not care much for protien so I figured you for a carbs kind of person. I then thought of Calvin and Hobbs cartoon and his favorite breakfast.
Congradulation on the amount you have taken off and hoping you reach your goal.

Rich
Most Active