Centrum multi vits & iron????

elizabethW
on 10/14/08 11:27 am - San Jose, CA
RNY on 08/08/08 with
I am taking Centrum chewables twice a day. Each pill has, among many good things,  18mg of iron, and Calcium 108mg.  Yet I know that iron inhibits calcium absorption.  I do take extra calcuim supplements 3 times a day ( not within 2 hours of taking the multivitamins). 

Do I need to worry that the iron in the Centrum is being lessend by the calcium?
Pam T.
on 10/15/08 4:40 am - Saginaw, MI
 Elizabeth - 

I also take the centrum chewables that have both the iron and calcium in it.  I haven't figured out how that works either.  But it's very common in many  multi-vitamins, so there must be some super secret forumla where calcium and iron in one pill in certain small amounts don't cancel each other out.  No idea.  But the iron must be working because that's the only iron I take and my labwork shows my levels are increasing since surgery.  Who knows!

Since the calcium in the Centrum is carbonate I don't even count it as part of my daily needs.  We don't absorb carbonate (well, only 4% so that's practically nothing anyway).  I take 2000mg of calcium citrate supplement per day besides my  multi-vitamin too.

Mmm... now my curiousity is piqued and I'll probably end up doing some research on this.  Ahhh.. another research project!  LOL!

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

elizabethW
on 10/15/08 5:29 am - San Jose, CA
RNY on 08/08/08 with
Thanks Pam, I just had a blood test done because I feel like mush and everything looked good expect my white blood cells, lympo.... and encio.... something.  I think you may be right about the Centrum carbonate not affecting the iron. I might take my centrum AND an iron supplement at the same time just in case.
Lynn J
on 10/18/08 3:24 am - LA
I take my iron alone with Vit C as soon as I wake up and take no other vitamins, dairy, or caffeine for 2 hours. It is important to get a ferritin blood test as this can be low and your hematocrit and hemoglobin can be fine.  A lot of doctors don't test ferritin.  I am trying to get my ferritin above 100.

Lynn J
Lap RNY 9/29/04
5' 4"
306/146/135
luluandmoses
on 11/18/08 3:13 am
I was wondering if you could help me ? I recently found out my ferritin is 8 so I now have to start taking iron. The bariatric dietitian say to take ferrous sulfate 325mg  three times a day my GI doctor says I wont absorb sulfate and wants me to get iv infusions. Which iron do you take and do you tolerate it ok? Thanks  Ki 
Lynn J
on 11/18/08 10:18 am - LA
I take Tender Iron from vitalady.com.  I think it is the best iron on the market. It can be chewed or swallowed. You might need 1 or 2 infusions since your ferritin is so low.  Good luck!

Lynn J
Lap RNY 9/29/04
5' 4"
306/146/135
(deactivated member)
on 10/28/08 6:15 am
Wells its a proven fact that if you take calcium and iron together they fight for absorption.  They say at least 1-2 hours of gap in between.  And some irons they currently offer in some places have vitamin c in them. just look around and search. I know bariatric Advantage sells iron with vitamin C. Good luck.
Most Active