Good Oil vs. Baaaad Oil??

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/08 9:58 am - AZ
Does anyone know if Sesame oil is considered a good oil or a bad one?  I know it is loaded with calories but I only consume less than a teaspoon daily, I'm at goal, and maintaining well.  I used it on my steamed veggies daily.

I have no clue if it is actually one if the more evil oils out there. ;o)  Anyone know?

Pam T.
on 10/12/08 10:02 am - Saginaw, MI
Here's a good website that teaches the difference between good and bad fats.
http://www.healthcastle.com/goodfats-badfats.shtml

Sesame oil is considered an Omege 6 Fatty Acid -- so it's on the good side:
http://www.stanfordhospital.com/pdf/cardiology/preventivecardiology/fats.pdf

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/08 10:12 am - AZ
Ohhh, thank you!  Considering I eat the stuff daily I was hoping that was the case.  I've been putting off researching it or asking because I didn't want to be told it was bad. ;o)

I use it on steamed veggies and eat bowls and bowls of the stuff but that oil is so strong it hardly takes any at all.  I probably use 1 teaspoon to every 4-5 cups of veggies.

Thanks again!

debbieposner
on 11/11/08 1:13 am
Dear MidwesternGirl,

You say you eat "bowls and bowls of the stuff [steamed veg]" daily. How can you get so much into your tiny little tummy?

Debbie-in-Newburgh
(deactivated member)
on 11/11/08 1:47 am - AZ
On November 11, 2008 at 9:13 AM Pacific Time, debbieposner wrote:
Dear MidwesternGirl,

You say you eat "bowls and bowls of the stuff [steamed veg]" daily. How can you get so much into your tiny little tummy?

Debbie-in-Newburgh

If they were raw I couldn't, but I cook them well. (steamed)  If I eat a solid protein I am stuffed for hours.  If I eat soft foods I can eat a lot.  Pretty much the same as all the procedures.

I have a big bowl that holds about 4-5 cups of cooked veggies.  I keep that next to my computer while I am working (grazing days, not every single day) and I eat all day long.  That huge bowl is probably 300 calores at best and if I do that, I supplement with protein shakes that day.  I only do it on days that I'm grazing since with that food type, I can graze and not gain.

I find myself preferring that over solid proteins.  I just don't care for animal flesh anymore, it's grossing me out.  I was vegetarian for a long time and I see myself going back to that lifestyle.

debbieposner
on 11/11/08 2:05 am
Fascinating. What are "grazing days"? I never heard of that (exactly 12 weeks postsurgery). It sounds interesting. Are they official? I think my nutritionist would have a heart attack on the spot (she's very rigid). Do lots of people do them? How many grazing days a week do you permit yourself? I think I had better start going to the support group across the river, so I can learn interesting things like this. Although I'm not exactly sure how the sleeve works (I gather that's what you have now, am I correct?)

Looking forward to learning more from you. Thank you.
(deactivated member)
on 11/11/08 2:33 am - AZ
On November 11, 2008 at 10:05 AM Pacific Time, debbieposner wrote:
Fascinating. What are "grazing days"? I never heard of that (exactly 12 weeks postsurgery). It sounds interesting. Are they official? I think my nutritionist would have a heart attack on the spot (she's very rigid). Do lots of people do them? How many grazing days a week do you permit yourself? I think I had better start going to the support group across the river, so I can learn interesting things like this. Although I'm not exactly sure how the sleeve works (I gather that's what you have now, am I correct?)

Looking forward to learning more from you. Thank you.

I allow myself all the grazing days I want.  When I graze I eat veggies anyway so who cares?

I don't agree with a rigid NUT.  This isn't a diet, this is a lifestyle change.  Each person is unique and has different needs.  To set rules and expect/demand everyone to follow them isn't the most effective way of doing things.  Sometimes you have to find what is workable and doable for each person.

Some people are quantity eaters, some are grazers.  I'm both.  So I have a restrictive procedure and on days I want to graze I do, I just pick my food choices well.  I can eat veggies all day long and I'm happy.  I got to graze and it wasn't exactly unhealthy.  If I am grazing I can eat cup after cup of steamed veggies and not go over 300 calories for the veggies alone.  If that is 3 meals plus snacks and grazing and anything else you want to call it, that's not a bad thing.

I do supplement with protein when I do that.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/13/08 12:21 pm

since it is an omega 6 - it is OK but not the best.  usually we are deficient in Omega 3's
Flax-seed oil is the best - but it needs to be refrigerated, and used in a raw form. (can not use it in cooking - has to be added after cooking).

It has a nice, nutty flavor.
Sesame oil is good for frying, sauteing food. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/08 12:24 pm - AZ
If I put this stuff on veggies and steam them... I eat tons of the stuff.  Flax seed oil doesn't sound good on steamed broccoli. ;o)

Favorite veggies steamed, then I add soy sauce, sesame oil, and garlic.  Yummmmmm

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/13/08 12:32 pm

O, but it does.  You can infuse the flax seed oil with garlic. 
I used that all the time... I peal a head of garlic, and to keep it fresh - I put that in a jar with flax seed oil.  I have fresh garlic as needed and flax oil with garlic taste. 
If you want to make it fast - slice some garlic and it will take much less time to get the taste.

Also - you can make a dressing for the veggies: mix some soy sauce, garlic, ginger (dry or minced), salt and pepper, blend for a few minutes.  Pour in a small bottle or a jar.  Shake very well before putting some on veggies.  

Flax is similar to fish oil - good for your heart, - everything, etc.  

FYI 
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA400149

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active