Are low-carb/high protein products okay?

waitinggame
on 10/9/08 10:39 am - Bowie, MD
Hi. I'm just trying to wrap my head around all this. Not scheduled for surgery yet though. Anyway, I'm very familiar with low-carb eating and wondered if as long as the protein is primary, and things are tolerated well, is it okay to do things like the high protein low carb breads and all the other products that are out for low carb eating. I'm not talking about anything with sugar alcohols, just things like tortillas, etc.

Thanks.
Pam T.
on 10/9/08 10:54 am - Saginaw, MI
 Yes, basically after surgery you will be following a high protein, low/good carb diet.  You'll be getting most of your carbs from fruits, veggies and dairy with very few starch-type carbs (bread, pasta, rice, etc.).  I tend to keep my balance at about 40% protein, 40% good carbs, 20% good fat.

I tend to keep the sugar alchols in check... some people tend to dump on them.  I haven't had a slice of bread since my surgery (ok, let's not talk about that one slice of cinnamon raisin bread... that was bad.  LOL)  

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

waitinggame
on 10/9/08 11:05 am - Bowie, MD

Thanks Pam. I have seen your name on here a few times and you give great information and answers!! Good point on the good carb thing. What a difference that makes! I've never been able to give up my fruits and veggies--just seemed counter-intuitive to me. Nice whole grains are a favorite of mine, but I guess we'll see what I tolerate after the big day. May I ask why no bread for you?

Thanks!

Pam T.
on 10/9/08 11:13 am - Saginaw, MI
After RNY my pouch is so small and it can only hold a tiny amount of food.  So everything that goes into it must be the highest quality nutrition possible.  Protein is dense (beef, chicken, fish) so once I eat my 3-4oz of meat there's only enough room for a few bites of veggies and not much else.  

When bread is chewed up and gets wet it swells up and takes up extra room in the pouch.  And it can also form a doughy ball that is difficult for the stomch to break down and could possibly get stuck.  Same goes with pasta and rice -- takes up too much room for not much nutrition. 

I do eat whole grain, low carb tortilla (fajita size) when I make tortilla pizza, but it's well toasted and cripsy when it comes out of the oven.   

I used to go through a whole loaf of 9-grain bread every 10 days or so before my surgery.  I thought it would be very hard to give up after surgery.  But its really not that big of a deal to me. I don't miss it at all.

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

waitinggame
on 10/9/08 6:57 pm - Bowie, MD
Good to hear--the not missing it part. And I'm all over the yummy fajita pizzzas you mentioned in this and another post. I love pesto--thought it would be too fatty to have--glad it isn't. And sun dried tomato pesto---YUMMMMMM.

Thanks for the explanation. I know my friend who is post op can't do rice anymore, but she still tries!
purplefans
on 10/10/08 1:41 pm - MA
I've started getting recipes from the internet searching for low fat, high protein, low sugar.  it's amazing what's out there.    I'm not really a cook, but believe that this is what I have to start doing to get healthy foods - especially high protein.    Plus it's better for my hubby and my kids are actually trying the things too.  I'm not quite 2 months out.    It's a life change, but one that I welcome because I chose WLS.      We also have protein shakes once every day now, to get a jump on the protein.   

waitinggame
on 10/10/08 11:48 pm - Bowie, MD
I have been stressing a bit about the kids and food prep, but I actually feed my kids better than I feed myself healthy wise, so we should be fine. It's not like there aren't already times I have to make one thing for me and hubby and something else for them.

Thanks for your input!
Most Active