I need the "skinny" on protein bars!

tysdad
on 10/7/08 2:37 pm - Montgomery County, MD
I am a month out and am DONE with the protein shakes.  I'm thinking I will switch to a bar instead. My ideal bar would taste good and be high in fiber/low in carbs.   Any ideas???
Thanks!!
Jenn

Committed to my banded life.
Pam T.
on 10/8/08 1:04 am - Saginaw, MI
Why are you "done" with protein shakes?  Did your doctor tell you to stop?  At just 1 month out it is going to be very difficult to get all your protein needs in everyday.  Are you hitting 60-80g per day with just food???  If not, then you probably need to go back to shakes until you can achieve your daily minimum protein needs with food. 

Protein bars are really tough this early out.  You're just barely starting solid food (or maybe you haven't yet ... I wasn't cleared for most foods until I hit 6 weeks).  Protein bars are generally high in calories and often contain sugar and sugar alcohols that you body might cause you to dump on. 

If you eat 1 protein bar per day at 250 calories each... and your daily total calories is just 600 right now... you're spending 40% of your calories on a single meal/snack.  Not a wise way to spend your calorie allowance this early out.

The rules I have for protein bars is:

* less than 250 calories
* must have fewer than 5g sugar
* must contain fewer carbs than protein
(so if it has 15g carbs, then it must have at least 16g protein)

I'm nearly 11 months out and STILL drink 1 protein shake per day.  I get about 30g of protein from a shake and eat about 70g of protein from food to reach my goal of 100g/day.  There is no other way to get a high number of protein grams in such a few number of calories -- shakes are invaluable in my daily eating plan.

Good luck
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/08 12:59 pm - Poconos, PA
Have you tried Muscle Milk protein powder yet? I would personally stay away from the original but they do have a light version that is in my opinion very very tasty. 2 scoops has 195 calories, 6 grams of fat, 2 grams of sugar and 25 grams of protein. You can mix it with water or for more protein but also more calories, mix it with milk if you don't have issues with it. My husband and I both use it with milk but also add fruit and blend it all together. They have quite a few flavors but we usually get the vanilla so we can add different things to it..
Michelle_Anne
on 10/12/08 5:28 am - MN
Hello,

I stopped using protein shakes within the first month. The only time I use a protein shake now is if I am in a hurry and need something quick.

I use protein bars as a meal replacement (usually breakfast) a couple of times a week. My nutritionist reccomends to include a peice of fruit with it. The fruit i**** or miss for me since the protein bar usually fills me up. I use the Pure Protein Bars and the MetRx Protein Bars. Depending on the flavors, they have an avareage of 180-200 calories and 18-20 grams of protein. Both brands are no/low fat and the carbs are reasonable (under 20 grams/mostly sugar alcohols). Unfortunately they are not high in fiber.

My favorite flavors are the Pure Protein Chocolate Peanutbutter (Target/Walmart/Pharmacies) and the MetRx Chocolate Carmel Peanut (Target/Walmart/Pharmacies).

~Michelle

5'5 ... 3CC's in a 10CC Band (6 fills... Unfill on March 4th, 2009 - very tight after flying)
Most Active