Had surgery on the 29th of Sept. and I'm hungry - help!

mmadragon
on 10/6/08 12:24 pm
Hello,

I had surgery (gastric bypass) on the 29th of september and I have been doing the liquid thing, cream of wheat, soup, etc., but I am really hungry. I feel like my body is ready for actual "food", as in normal type food. I remember everybody saying how full they felt after the surgery, but I don't feel that way. I always feel hungry. It's beating me down. I'm frustrated and need some help. Thanks a bunch!

Erin M.
Shannon O.
on 10/6/08 1:20 pm - Reading, PA
I had hunger very early out too... to help with that I made thick protein shakes... it just seem to help... but talk to your nut and see if they have any tricks...

Pam T.
on 10/7/08 1:06 am - Saginaw, MI
During surgery the doctor had to cut the nerves in your stomach to create your new pouch.  Those nerves send signals from your digestive tract to your brain to communicate hunger and fullness.  The nerves were cut and are not working right now.  It takes anywhere from 3 months to 12 months for them to heal and regenerate. 

What does that mean?

It means that the "Hunger" you are feeling is not coming from your stomach or digestive system.  It's coming from your head.  Your body is remembering hunger and trying to tell you that you're hungry.  But it's all a big hoax... your brain is lying to you.  Don't you just hate that!?  hehehe  Now is the time to really get a handle on what "head hunger" is and learn to listen to your body for real hunger signals. 

You also won't feel full right away.  And it takes a little while to figure out how your body will tell you that you're full.  For some they sneeze, or hiccup, or burp, or get a runny nose... your body will divise a plan to tell you when you've eaten enough. 

I know it's hard.  But these early days after surgery are some of the hardest because you have to adjust the way you think and feel about food.  You have to change your entire relationship with eating and emotions.  But you have a tool that is there to help you through it.  :-)

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

jengadog
on 10/12/08 6:17 am
drink drink drink.........must consume at least 10 glasses of water ......when you feel hungry drink....drink before you get hungry........patty
Most Active