Need help with eating veggies...

Helen_Anne
on 10/6/08 12:35 pm - Bremerton, WA
I am full diet now... and have not figured out how to get some veggies in my diet.  I have eaten lettuce and tomatoes. 

I am know I am not ready for most raw veggies... but what ones are work well in our pouches.. I was thinking of frozen or canned veggies to start with.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Shannon O.
on 10/6/08 1:16 pm, edited 10/6/08 1:16 pm - Reading, PA
I make my own chili and it is a great way to get veggies in because they are soft and you still get protein...

Here is the recipe for it... I did use a chili con seasoning packet... there was no added sugar in it...

1 red onion
1 carrot
1/4 cup of diced green peppers
1/4 cup of jalopano peppers that I got from quiznos (hey they are free and I don't have to deal with the mess)
4 tablespoons of garlic
1.5 pounds of stewing steak
1.5 pounds of ground beef (96/4 mix)
1 can of hunts fire roasted tomatoes with garlic
1 can of hanover's red beans with chili sauce
1 can of bush's black beans with seasonings
1/2 can of tomato paste (the little can)
2 tablespoons of olive oil for sauteing (for veggies and steak but drained off)
Adobo seasoning and flour (this was to toss the steak meat in to cook off in the skillet before adding it to the chili)
1 pack of chili con mix
1 box of beef broth- low salt fat free

You all get the idea of what you do with everything... makes one big pot of chili that is out of the world!! Chock full of protein and fiber

Helen_Anne
on 10/6/08 1:23 pm - Bremerton, WA

Thank you this recipe sounds WONDERFUL!!!!

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Pam T.
on 10/7/08 1:36 am - Saginaw, MI
Some of my favorites include:

Steamed broccoli
Fresh green beans - sauteed in a bit of olive oil and garlic
Roasted Cauliflower -- add olive oil, garlic and parm cheese
Frozen peas - steamed
Salad (baby mixed greens, sliced tomatoes, shredded carrots, dried cherries or another fruit)
Mushrooms (usually on tortilla pizza)
Summer squash & zucchini in one of Eggface's casseroles
Stir fry veggies (w/ chicken or beef) -- it comes in the freezer section

I don't do canned veggies anymore (I think I've become a veggie snob)... but frozen works great for most anything and taste fresher to me.

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Stella-Blue
on 10/13/08 2:26 pm - Where the four winds blow me safely home, NY
I liked mashed carrots and mashed yam when I started the puree diet.  After that I worked in things like veggie soup (overcooked) and spinach, spinach and more spinach!  It went down good.  Frozen squeezed out spinach is good added to scrambled egg beaters and topped with fat free american cheese.  I made 1/2 cup of beaters with 1/4 cup spinach and one slice cheese.  It makes 3 servings.

Start: 487 lbs (8/07) Lost 81 lbs pre op on South Beach. 406 lbs at surgery (6/08). 179 post op, by 2011. I  lost 308 lbs. Gained 98 while pregnant (2012-13) lost all but 25. My goal is to be 179 again!
   siggy1 photo b83557eb-1c5e-4e0a-90b7-89760c2e36e2.jpg   Two years after that.... photo 44fcb3ac-18c4-4dfd-bf38-d324f956cf75.jpg      photo c2781653-fea8-4141-8cac-f0889127d077.jpg  I could not be happier. 

Most Active