need a refresher on sensible eating 1.7 years out from RNY

jenihig
on 10/4/08 3:33 am - FL
I need a refresher course on a nutritionally sound eating plan/ food ideas and amounts that I should be following at 1 year 7 months from RNY. I started at 298 lbs and I am currently at 211 lbs. I am 5'3" and I am insulin resistant.

Any help???

Thanks in advance, Jenifer
Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, 
            it became a butterfly
-anonymous
Butterfly
Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3
Elaine C.
on 10/4/08 5:19 am - Lawton, OK
I am by no means a professionl....you may want to consult a nut...but here is my 2 cents...

Protein first...keeps you satisfied longer

Veggies

Fruit (berries are very good for you and I eat almost a cup of blueberries a day)

Your body does need fiber so the veggies are very important.  If you are like me I don't get as many in as I should so you may want to consider taking a fiber supplement like Benefiber (tasteless and can be added to foods without affecting it) or a chewable fiber tablet.

I still have a protein shake in the aM to get my day started.  with 4 to 6 oz of 1% milk and my protein powder then a heaping tsp of decaf instant coffee and ice and viola I have a protein frappucino!

lunch is usually a homemead turkey chili (canned chili to me just sucks) or a bean soup, etc.

Dinner, maybe chicken and veggie.

I do snack and will have a rice cake with PB or a yogurt with frozen blueberries and granola.

In 2 months I will be 2 years out and have continued to lose, all be it slowly now.  And, I eat 1400 to 1600 calories per day.

We also joke in my house that we discriminate against white foods. LOL.  No white bread, rice or potatoes or crackers.  I do eat WASA crackers once in a while and whole grain rice cakes.  But I now try very hard to stay away from the processed stuff and buy whole grains and fressh or frozen veggies and fruit.

I also suggest writing down for a week whhat you are eating now and the you can see what you are currently doing and adjust your eating from there.  Writing it down also makes you pay more attention to what you are eating and more mindful of your choices.
Helen_Anne
on 10/6/08 9:28 am - Bremerton, WA
I found this site today... here is a  Gastric Bypass Food Pyramid... 

http://www.personal-nutrition-guide.com/support-files/gastri c-bypass-food-pyramid.pdf

I hope this helps....

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

jenihig
on 10/6/08 9:47 am - FL
Thank you so much Helen. I printed it out and it will definitely help!!! Jenifer
Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, 
            it became a butterfly
-anonymous
Butterfly
Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3
Most Active