How much Calcium daily?

Nana-712
on 10/2/08 12:54 am
I take the Citracal Calcium Citrate Petites. I have been taking 4 per day. I just noticed on the lable that it is TWO tablets that equal 400mg.  Should I be taking 8 tablets per day??  If so, can I take two at a time or do I have to take them eight seperate times??
Pam T.
on 10/2/08 10:28 am - Saginaw, MI
Current ASMBS recommendations for calcium after RNY is 1500-2000mg of calcium citrate per day.  So yes, you'll need to take 8 citracal petites per day. Just make sure you're not taking more than 500mg of calcium at a time -- the body can't deal with more than that and will just excrete anything above 500mg. 

So 2 tablets at a time, wait 2 hours before doing another dose. :-)

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

wendy_fou
on 10/2/08 1:18 pm - AR

2000 mg per day is best.  That's 8 Citracal Plus per day.  (2 pills = 500 dose)

I don't agree that you should take them every 2 hours though.  That is the MINIMUM to wait between calcium doses (or before taking iron). 

The best way to take calcium is to space them out as evenly throughout the day as possible.  I'd take them more like every 4 hours.  (I take them around meals so I never forget.)

Most Active