Reason for pre-op diet

zipchick
on 10/1/08 2:57 pm
Hey there.  I have started my pre-op diet.  My surgeon says 2 protein shakes and a sensible meal.  I have been told that this is to shrink my liver to make surgery easier.   How does this work?  Does the liver just shrink when you lose weight with the pre-op diet?  I have also been told that it is to clean my system.  Can anyone tell me whats really going on here?
Thx!
zippy

Enter

Pam T.
on 10/2/08 10:38 am - Saginaw, MI
The liver has to work overtime when we eat high carb and high fat diets and can become enlarge. Many obese people have fatty livers that are enlarged.  And since the liver sits right on top of the stomach, the smaller and healthier is it, the less risk of damage during surgery.

You'll also want your intestinal tract as "clean" a possible since they'll be rearranging things, of course.  It'll also clear your system of sugar and simple carbs and help clean your system of those withdrawl symptoms when you eliminate them from your diet.

But for me, the most important reason isn't either of those two.  It's more of a mental thing.  This is the time to really prove to yourself that you can follow a very strict diet (mine was more strict than yours, I didn't get any food).  It's your chance to practice dealing with the rules of post-of life. The pre-op diet helped me realize that my own will was stronger than any measly craving or hunger pangs or desire to cheat.  I was able to prove to myself that I could do this WLS thing.  

Good luck with the pre-op diet.  The first few days are the hardest, but you'll be very proud of yourself for accomplishing it.

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active