calcium question

Ruby R.
on 9/26/08 10:22 pm
i got my labs results and my calcium is 9.5 (normal is 8.6-10.2).  I know I am in normal range, but it seems I have read that blood calcium will be normal because the blood draws from the bones.   If I remember correctly, something else has to be looked at to see is bone calcium is okay.

I had a bone density test last year (insurance only pays for every two years.)  My test was pretty good.  GYN took me off FosamaxD.  She said she might put me back on another product (the once a month product) later.

BTW my Vit D is 82 which is high.  Normal is 15-60.  I take calcium with D, so I may be getting too much.

I guess my question is about calcium.  My daughter was tell me her calcium is normal.  I wanted to tell her to look at the other reading that I had heard about.  

Sorry to be so long. 

Ruby Rosebud
RNY 3-11-2005
262/125/138
hi/lo/today 
Pam T.
on 9/27/08 9:43 am - Saginaw, MI
A classic indication that you are not absorbing calcium is when your vitamin D is low and your PTH is high.

Dont' assume that 82 is too high for your Vit D.  That number is fine and right where you want to keep it.  Don't cut back on what you're doing. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active