Vitamin Schedule

Sonja G.
on 9/21/08 6:01 am - Anchorage, AK
Hi, I am 2 1/2 weeks away from my rny surgery I have already started to take my B vitamins. I have been reading about the vitamin regimen. I am one of those that needs a set schedule. Can anyone tell me what vitamins they take in the am and what vitamins they take in the pm. I heard you can't take some together. I am a pretty straight forward kinda gal and want to have my routine in place or I will feel unorganized. Thanks to all that can help.
Pam T.
on 9/22/08 2:36 am - Saginaw, MI
I was given an hour-by-hour schedule for eating and drinking just before my surgery.  It saved my sanity post-op and helped to keep me on track.  The original schedule is posted in my OH Profile if you want to dig back several months for it. 

I still use a schedule to keep me on track now - 10 months out.  I've adjusted that original schedule a bit and have also added various alarm reminders on my cell phone for things I tend to forget throughout the day.   I'll post my current schedule below.

As for what you can take together or not.  Here's a couple rules of thumb:

Calcium and Vitamin D are friends.  They help each other absorb and create strong bones.  Always take them together.  Calcium tends to absorb best with food.

Iron and Vitamin C are friends.  Iron requires an acidic environment and Vitamin  C creates that.  Iron does not like food and requires an empty stomach.

Iron and Calcium are enemies.  Keep them at least 2 hours apart from each other.  This includes when you eat... so if you're eating high iron foods, don't take your calcium.  If you're taking iron, don't take it with dairy products. Fiber, caffeine and phosphorus tends to interfer with the absorption of calcium too.

The B Vitamins are a family and like to stay together.  They work together as a team, so anything you're taking with one of the Vitamin B's in it, take them at the same time.  Your multi will have B's, biotin is a B and your B12 should also be taken at the same time too. 
------------------------

Here's my schedule:

7:00 am -- protein shake, calcium +D
10:00 am -- breakfast, multi-vitamin, B-complex pill, fish oil cap, stool softner
1:00 pm -- lunch, calcium +D
4:30 pm -- snack, calcium +D
8:00 pm -- dinner, calcium +D
11:00 pm -- tiny snack so my pouch is not empty, multi-vitamin, B12, Rx's

I don't take an iron supplement because my bloodwork doesn't require it.  But if I did, I'd move my bedtime pills to another time during the day and take iron just before bed on an empty stomach.

HTH
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active