pb and j question

sherry R.
on 9/20/08 1:02 pm
ok, i love pb and j

i am trying to figure out a way to make this wls friendly.. i am amlost 5 weeks out. i have some bread  some sf strawberry jam and some peanut butter.

now i know that soft bread can cause dough balls in your pouch if eaten. and cause blockage.
this is what my papers from my nut said to me.

now.  iif i was to toset the crustless bread and spread a small amount of pb and j on it.. would this be a bad thing for me to consume.  < i cant eat that much as is. so it would be one piece of bread.

Your faith is stronger than you think.  - my Mom
Weight: initial-320, , surgery- 291.2 now -205 had baby july 1, 2011 Regained to 242 (due to unemployment)  t goal weight _ what ever it ends at.
Cindy O.
on 9/21/08 3:39 am - Bryan, TX
Theoretically, you could probably eat toast w/ jelly and pnb.  But do you really need to?!
If you factor this into your daily plan, and you can tolerate the bread, it certainly won't harm you.  Personally, I try to steer away from that type food, it's too similar to my "old" eating habits.  I eat pnb 3-4 x week, but I don't eat bread and haven't tried SF jelly.  Same as SF icecream, scares me to get that close to *the enemy*  LOL.
Cindy
magnet

I do not give medical advice.  I offer my opinion, nothing more. 
Pam T.
on 9/22/08 2:28 am - Saginaw, MI
In the 10 months since my surgery, I think I've eaten bread about 3 times and even then it wasn't a pleasant experience.  Yes, the doughiness of the bread can form a ball in your pouch and cause a blockage.  I was told after the 6 week mark that if I was going to do bread to make sure it was very very very well toasted and dry.

At about the 6-8 week mark I was allowed 2-3 crackers at a meal after my protein was eaten.  At that time I had 2 crackers with a tiny bit of peanut butter spread on them and it hit the spot.  I have had the SF jelly - it's not that great tasting, but I imagine you could add a tiny dollop to the cracker, PB combo. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

redsoxvw
on 9/25/08 4:02 pm - Dartmouth, MA
I am 2 months out and for the Pb N J, I use all natural peanut butter, and sugar free strawberry jam, on a single piece of toasted wheat bread folded in half.......Toasting it takes the doughy(sp?) texture out of it, and it taste so good and hits the spot....The peanut butter is Teddys, and the jam is suger free smuckers........No probs at all for me, but then again its only a half a sandwhich maybe once a week............Good luck
monky
on 10/1/08 10:21 am - Alexandria, VA
RNY on 02/20/08 with
i've definitely had cravings for a pb&j sandwich over the last 8 months, but the feel of bread (toasted or not) always makes me feel like crap.  I really do try to stay away from carbs anyway.  If I were to have it though I would maybe do a quarter of a piece of toasted wheat bread with pb&j on it and be done with it.  I might even try a wheat cracker with some pb&j on it too.  You are still very early out and I wouldn't want to tempt myself at that point.
JerssyQueen
on 10/13/08 10:58 pm - Lancaster, PA
Hi there,

I have had the same craving.  I have only had it twice but once in awhile to me is fine as long as you don't fall into old habits.
I either use a small amount of PB2 or Peter pan reduced fat  with strawberry simply fruit jelly and just eat a few spoonfulls without the bread....Or the one time I took a small piece of bread and just put a small amount on it and ate it slowly and it went down fine.   I did like it better with the bread but rather have just a teaspoon or two without the bread with less carbs and calories 

Gl
Chris

311     /     286    /      150    /   160
Highest /   Surgery  /  Current  /  
  Goal

rainbowconnection
on 10/23/08 2:24 am - houston, TX
I LOVE peanut butter.  So after my surgery I tasted and researched high protein peanut butter.  My favorite is Naturally More http://www.naturallymore.com/.  I buy it at Walmart.  You have to refrigerate it so I put mine in the fridge upside down to help it mix.  It's very nutty and spreads well.  It has 10 grams of protein per serving.
I put it on graham crackers.  My favorite is VPX Zero Impact High Protein Graham crackers http://www.vitacost.com/VPX-Zero-Impact-High-Protein/pd_sect ion-pr#ProductReviews.  It has 45 grams of protein per pack.
I put pb and jelly in my oatmeal.  My favorite is Dymatize elite high protein oatmeal (granola flavor) http://www.a1supplements.com/Elite-High-Protein-Oatmeal-7-Pa ckets-p-16316.html.
I put pb and granola on red apples.  My favorite granola is Kellogg's lowfat granola without raisins http://www2.kelloggs.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product= 571.  It has 4 grams of protein per serving. 
I have also had pb and banana but banana gives me gas big time like I just can't fart enough, lol.
I have had pb and jelly on bread with no problems stomach wise but it did give me mental problems, lol.  I find that I just can't eat bread,pasta or rice bc I have total lack of self control.  After I eat those three things then I start craving them and thinking about them all the time.  I am totally a carbaholic.
rainbowconnection
on 10/23/08 2:33 am - houston, TX
Oh and I want to add.  The high protein foods are often higher in price or have to be ordered on the internet but don't let that discourage you.  I did the math once and figured out how much I spent a month on junk, fast and restaurant food and it was way more than I spend on my high protein food.  I set aside a certain amount out of each paycheck to buy "my food".  First I make a list of what I need to replinish then I hit the web to find high protein products with good reviews to order/try.  Part of my weightloss journey has been ending my old relationship with food and beginning a new one.  My previous eating habits were greasy, salty and carbalicious.  Now I bring fun into my diet by trying new stuff and eating as healthy as possible. 

I also used to seriously get  down on pizza.  So now I make faux pizzas.  I take a 4oz bowl and layer it with cottage cheese, pizza sauce, mozerella, parmesean, black olives and turkey pepperoni.  Sometimes I have to eat that for days at a time to get that pizza craving to go away.  Yes, I can eat pizza and it's ok in the pouch but not ok in my mind.  I really really really want to eat the crust but mainly the problem is I want to eat half the pizza.  I get to obsessing about it and picking at the crust and will "graze" on pizza til it's gone.  I know I am a foodaholic so I am developing new ways to deal with my issues and a good one for now is avoidance, lol.
sherry R.
on 10/24/08 12:16 pm

i wonder how thin crust p izza is for gastric bypass cause you know ya gonna have to chew ya life away. maybe sausage or something of that nature.

Your faith is stronger than you think.  - my Mom
Weight: initial-320, , surgery- 291.2 now -205 had baby july 1, 2011 Regained to 242 (due to unemployment)  t goal weight _ what ever it ends at.
penthilisea
on 11/13/08 11:18 am - Milford, NJ
Ugh, PB and J STILL makes me dump, 2.5 years out. I will put PN and jelly on matzo though, thats nice for a snack.
glitter graphicsglitter graphicsglitter graphics

Mal: "Well, my days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." "Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt" Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Most Active