Protein Bullets

mindyCB
on 9/17/08 12:36 am - MD
I've been doing some protein research and came accross these cool WHEY Protein Bullets (3oz & 42gr Protein). I wonder if it is a good supplement for protein. It's almost to good to be true. Has anyone used it? I would like something more "on the go" so I hope it's something I should try. 

That was then.... but this is now......

Pam T.
on 9/17/08 12:58 am - Saginaw, MI
I posted my opinion of the Bullets in my Profile.  Here's the research I've done:

---------------------------------

A lot of people swear by the New Whey Protein Bullets.  but from my own research I am not thrilled with the quality of the protein it provides.  Here's what I know:

Ingredients in New Whey Protein 42g
67.4% pure deionized water, 31.5% Actinase (patent pending blend of enzymatically hydrolyzed collagenic protein isolate, whey protein isolate and caseine protein isolate), less that 2% of malic acid, vitamin c,b3,b5,b2, b1, folic acid, biotin, and b12, natural flavors, sucralose, blue-1 and red 40.

As we know, the highest percentage of ingredients are listed first, with lesser amounts listed last.  So we know that of that 31.5% of protein mixture the highest amount of protein would be Collagen Protein.  Next is Whey Protein Isolate, then Caseine Protein Isolate.  Let's look at each one:

Callagen Protein:
This is the main protein of connective tissue in animals and the most abundant protein in mammals, making up about 25% of the whole-body protein content.  When broken down, collagen becomes a gelatin used in many foods such as Jell-O type desserts.  It’s also used in cosmetics, pharmacology and photography industry for the production of various products. Collagen and gelatin are poor-quality protein sources since they do not contain all the essential amino acids that the human body requires - they are not complete proteins.

Whey Protein Isolate
This is the highest quality protein currently available.  The BV rating is often shown at 110-159 because the BV scale was devised before Whey Protein Isolate was developed and the scale is based on the perfect protein of an egg.  This form of protein has the highest biolavailability of any other form of protein.

Casein Protein Isolate
Casein is a slow-digesting protein source that actually forms a "gel" in the stomach and slowly releases it's amino acid components over several hours after ingestion.  This slow release can last up to 7 hours (for comparison: Whey is released within 40 minutes).  Casein is derived from milk - same protein source as if you drink a glass of milk.  My concern though with this source is because it is concentrated and process to be slow-digesting, the Casein Protein Isolate may actually leave our altered/shorter digestive track before it has a chance to release all of the amino acids it contains.

And just a side note:  The words "enzymatically hydrolyzed" don't really mean much.  Enzymatically just means it's a "variety of protein enzyme sources" and hydrolyzed just means that the protein has been "broken down" into it's basic amino acid component.

So basically with those $3.50+ protein bullets you're paying for 68% water and 32% of a low quality combination of protein (with a little bit of good whey protein thrown in for good measure). 

I personally would rather feed my body the high quality Whey Protein Isolate that is proven to be the best for my body, will be processed in less than an hour in my shorter intestines and allow me to use every single bit of what I'm drinking and not waste any protein.

HTH
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

mindyCB
on 9/17/08 1:09 am - MD
Thanks for all the information! I guess I'll stick to  the EAS Whey Protein Powder mixed with frozen strawberries.

ng
on 9/20/08 6:14 pm - Southwest, LA
frankly, my ps said to eat real protein................or a piece of chicken, beef, turkey, or fish.......  being bad, bad, bad.................. i often do not want heavy stuff on my stomach, and it would be no protein or swallow the liquid.    but then again, i also use zero carb isopure.  but who the heck knows what is in it either.................LOL
linneybeansmom
on 9/17/08 11:40 am - NC
OMG!!  I thought to myself "42 grams and in only 3 oz? Wow! I have so got to try these things."  My darling husband did the ordering and came in to tell me that they were having a special.  If you bought 3 boxes you saved "X" amount of $$ so he bought 3 boxes.  They arrived a couple of days later.............

Do you remember the toilet fresheners that looked like big white discs and hung under the rim of the toilet so every time you flushed they got soakek?  They were usually in public restrooms I think.  Remember how they smelled?  Good.  Hold that thought/odor......

I opened the bullet and took a gulp.  Now I wasn't expecting it taste like orange kool aid or anything but I was immediately swept back to the days of the toilet 'cookies'.  They smelled sort of like it and the taste that was left in my mouth............   Well, you get the picture.

Yesterday I went to Vitalady.com and ordered several different kinds and flavors of protein powders in sample sizes.  That way I can pick and chose what I like before I spend a bunch of money on a pig in a poke!!

My advice is steer clear.  The only way I can get any down is to mix it with juice and hold my breath while I'm drinking and for a minute or so afterwards.
2Corinthians 5:7

mindyCB
on 9/18/08 8:04 am - MD
See --I knew it was to good to be true! Plus now I know it's not the good protein anyway. So, that's that.

ng
on 9/20/08 6:20 pm - Southwest, LA
the type i bought taste fine............ and i am very picky............ i hate everything.
ng
on 9/20/08 6:19 pm - Southwest, LA
the ones I buy are from  idssports.com    but they are nothing like toilet fresheners.  they are more like kid*****h.  i just got sick and tired of trying to mix protein powder into water or milk.  I have several jugs waiting for me to grow some patience.  also some samples of flavors that I have never tried because i got tired of the gummy powder...............  but i do also use the bottles of liquid........ they are 40g
ng
on 9/20/08 6:02 pm - Southwest, LA
I buy protein that is probably about 3 oz & has 42 gr protein.  I like them,  it is so much easier to just drink that than mix up a protein shake.  or drink a whole can of protein drink.............  I order mine online and they get here in a couple days.  they taste ok, i hate orange flavorings, and can manage to swallow theirs, but i prefer the tropical punch flavor or the grape.  hope this helps.
mindyCB
on 9/21/08 1:29 pm - MD
Thanks! I might use it when I am feeling low on protein and I'm near a GNC and need a quick fix. Belive me, I can tell when I am low. Even if it isn't perfect, it is better than waiting unitl I get home (I live in a very rural area and getting home could take a while). If it works really well, I may get a stash to keep in an ice box in my car.

Most Active