Suggestions for mushy foods

jgoodin007
on 9/16/08 10:25 am - Oklahoma City, OK
I am about 7 days away from mushy foods and I'm so over clear liquids that I thought I would start researching...

I would appreciate any fabulous concoctions that you have for the mushy food stage.

Thanks!
berts4
on 9/19/08 7:14 am - Rock City, IL
Here's a few suggestions:

Vanilla Egg Custard
This is appropriate, very soft and tender, easy to make, actually tastes delicious, and makes you feel as if you are 'safe' and that everything is going to be fine... a good bariatric comfort food.

4 large eggs
1 cup skim milk
1 1/2 cups evaporated low-fat or non-fat milk
1/2 cup splenda granular
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Freshly grated nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place 6 custard cups or ramekins in a large roasting pan and set aside. Whisk together the eggs, milk, evaporated milk, splenda, vanilla and salt. Pour through a fine mesh sieve (strainer) into a large measuring cup. Divide evenly amoung the custard cups and grate the nutmeg over each one. Pour enough ho****er in the roasting pan to come about halfway up the sides of the custard cups. Bake 25-35 minutes, until the custards are just set in the center. Carefully remove the custards from the water bath and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve chilled.

Ricotta mixed with a little marinara and microwaved about 30 seconds
(Tastes just like a ravioli without the pasta)

Ricotta mixed with sugar-free jam or jelly or even Davinci syrup if you want something sweet

Heat up string cheese til it is flat, put a little dab of spaghetti sauce on it, and put cottage cheese on top. It is like lasagna - without the meat and noodles.. It is a nice treat, and high in protein.

Sugar free jams mixed in with cottage or ricotta cheese too.

Cottage cheese with Splenda and cinnamon

CREAMY BLACK BEAN SOUP
(from Bariatric Eating.com)
1 TB olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
One 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups Chicken Stock or low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup mild roasted tomato salsa
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
Shredded Chedar, chopped cilantro, and sliced green onions (scallions)

Heat the oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onion and garli****il lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the beans, stock, and salsa, and season with salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the flavors blend and the soup thickens slightly. Puree the soup with an immersion blender or in a blender until smooth and creamy. Be careful when pureeing hot liquids in a blender as the steam expands; always cover the lid with a kitchen towel, pulse the switch, then rel4ease the steam before proceeding.

Reheat the soup just before serving and whisk in the sour cream. Check the seasonings. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the Cheddar, cilantro, and green oinions. Have a bottle of hot sauce on the table and use to taste.

Watch for added sugar in salsa.

Pumpkin Pie Ricotta
1/4 c canned pumpkin
1/4 c ricotta cheese
2 tbsp vanilla protein
2 pkgs splenda
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Mix all together until smooth and dig in! Yummy!

Hummus

Pudding with a spoonful of Protein Powder blended in

Unflavored yogurt with Protein Powder blended in

Cottage cheese pancakes, sweet or savory

mozzarella sticks

homemade applesauce

2 cans refried beans
Spices such as chili powder, cumin, garlic, etc. (add about 1-2 tsps.)
1 can enchilada sauce (I use mild)
Cheddar cheese, grated

Mix beans with spices.
Use 7 - 8 Ziploc 1-cup round containers and put beans on bottom.
Pour enchilada sauce on top.
Top each with ¼ cup grated cheese
Containers should be about 1/2 - 2/3 full...a perfect size for post op.
Put some in freezer for future meals if desired.

For pureed: In food processor, mix the beans & spices with a little added water while running until creamy.

Cream Cheese Spread

8 ounces low fat cream cheese
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
garlic, chopped, or garlic powder to taste
3 or 4 finely chopped green onions
Finely chopped water chestnuts (amount is up to you!) (can be left out for early soft)
1/2 teaspoon Season-All salt

Mix thoroughly, refrigerate for a couple of hours to allow flavors to marry.

Then, spread on deli meat. I cut each slice of meat in half, roll each half up. Is oh so yummy!

Cheesecake popsicles

1 pkg cream cheese
lg box sf jello disolved in 2 c boiling water
mix well and pour in to popsickle molds or ice cube trays!

have added canaloupe to orange ones very good!

Yummy Carmel Apple - for those with a sweet tooth, especially with fall right around the corner!

Wash, peel and slice an apple (I prefer tart, crisp apples). Put it in a microwavable bowl, add a smidgen of water (and splenda if desired), then cover. Micro-steam until soft. Drain off liquid, then mash apple until your needed texture. When I was futher out, I left the apples just sliced and didn't mash them. But in the beginning, I mashed them to whatever texture I was supposed to be eating. After the apples are the consistancy you need, add Sugar Free Butterscotch Jello (dried, no milk added) to taste (I am guessing about 1/8 of a box per apple (but that is just a guess). A dollop of whipped cream mixed in and you have a delicous
carmel apple. Can be kept in the fridge for a day or so. I generally do not keep mine longer than that - too good! You may also want to increase your recipe to make this family size ... my family loves it as much as I do!

Tell someone that you love them!
Dawn
253/223/167/127
HW/SW/CW/GW

berts4
on 9/19/08 7:20 am - Rock City, IL
 Here are a few more:  I can't remember anymore where they all came from, so I apologize if I have copied anyone's recipe.  I collected these when I was pre-op and that was over 2 years ago.......

Shrimp Spread
¼ cup serving Calories 73, fat 3g, net carbs 4g, protein 15g
Makes 2 ½ cups
1 pound cooked shrimp
¼ cup Hellmann’s Reduced Fat mayonnaise
3 scallions chopped
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning

Pulse shrimp in food processor until ground but still chunky. Transfer to bowl. Mix in scallions, mayonnaise, and OldBay

Pinto Bean Puree
¼ cup serving Calories 65, fat 3g, net carbs 10g, protein 9g
Makes 2 cups

1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 teaspoons olive oil
One 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup of your favorite salsa
½ cup chicken broth

Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil in a nonstick skillet until golden brown. Place beans, sautéed vegetables, and salsa to food processor and pulse until chunky, add broth a little at a time to desired consistency. Pour mixture into skillet and coo****il bubbly and thickened, about 10 minutes.

Banana nog!!!!!!!!!!
1 scoop vanilla protien powder
1 cup skim milk
A one inch chunk of banana
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla

shake in a shaker or in a blender

YUMMY!!!!!!!! I could have one every day bu****ch the carbs from the banana

Ricotta Protein Bars

1 square unsweetened chocolate
1/3 c. plus 2 T. peanut butter (original called for 2 T. plain butter)

Melt these together in microwave and stir in:

1/4 c. Splenda Granular
2 scoops of Chocolate Protein powder
1/3 c. Ricotta cheese

Stir well and form into a flat disc about 6 inches across. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill until hardened. Cut into 12 pie shaped pieces.

Approx stats: 18 pro grams/each - 100 calories each

Hot Cocoa (13 g protein)
1 tablespoon Splenda
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
2 tablespoons dried milk powder
8 ounces non-fat milk
Dash salt
Few drops good quality vanilla

Blend Splenda, unsweetened cocoa, dried milk powder and salt in large mug. Blend in milk, stirring until dissolved. Microwave 1 minute on high or until hot. Can also heat in saucepan on stove

Tell someone that you love them!
Dawn
253/223/167/127
HW/SW/CW/GW

jgoodin007
on 9/19/08 8:04 am - Oklahoma City, OK
Thank you so much!!!  They all sound super yummy!!!
arkman54
on 9/22/08 3:09 am - Fort Smith, AR

I thank you also for the post.  Had my RNY with Dr. Walton on 9/15.  I guess I will be at the mushy stage next week.  These sound great.  Also, there is a blog called theworldaccordingtoeggface.blog.com that has a lot of good stuff on it.  Type in mushies in the search bar.  Good luck, Michael

Most Active