Pre-op Liquid Diet Question

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/08 3:06 am - Milwaukee, WI
I'll soon be starting my pre-op liquid diet and I know I will be able to have sugar free popsicles.... yet I have a freezer full of ice pops with about 10 calories in each one but they're not sugar free.  What's the deal with no sugar pre-op?
Pam T.
on 9/15/08 10:18 am - Saginaw, MI
Part of the benefit of the pre-op liquid diet is cleansing your body of carbs and dealing with the sugar withdrawls that go along with that.  Sugar is a carb.  Reducing carbs in your diet will also help in shrinking your liver to make your surgery easier for your surgeon (the liver sits right in front of the stomach).  

The other part of this pre-op diet is about compliance and starting the mental journal to a different way of eating.  Not only are you proving to your surgeon that you can follow the eating plan to the letter with no cheating... but you're also proving to yourself that you can do this thing.  

So clean out the freezer and give all those ice pops to the neighborhood kids or whatever.  And clean out the pantry and cupboards of all the other stuff you're not allowed to have.  If it's not in the pantry or fridge or freezer, you won't be tempted to eat it when you know you sholdn't.  

Good luck with the pre-op diet.  The first 4 days are the hardest, so if you can get through those first 4 days you can do anything!

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active