Potassium and Magnesium

javelina
on 9/13/08 10:27 am - NE, OH
Hi,

I'm taking 2 bariatric advantage chewable  multi with trace minerals, 1200 mg calcium on top of that, 5000 IU Vit D, 60 mg iron (separate from my iron and synthroid), 500 B12 sublingual, and co-omega EFAs.

When I figure it out, the only minerals I'm not getting much of are potassium and magnesium.  I get between 5 and 15% RDA of these most days. I can't really get these from food yet (i'm a month post) and although I haven't had my first labs I really don't think I want to wait for a problem -- these are significant minerals, aren't they? And the lit suggests that deficiencies in these areas are reported in RNY GB patients.

Does anyone have suggestions? I've looked at potassium supplements and because of the risk of overdose you can only get 3% RDA from each pill. And I have looked at magnesium supplements and I'm overwhelmed by the options. Anyone know? Of course I'll touch base with my NUT but I would like to get educated before I see her in 2 weeks.

Thanks.

Kate 

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/08 2:28 am, edited 9/14/08 2:30 am
Potassium supplements are manufactured and packaged as only 99mg each capsule for a reason. High amounts of potassium can be lethal. Although that would be a huge amount of potassium to take.....(a medium banana is about 550mg) still, by law, no one can sell any potassium supplements over 99mg per pill.
 You're only one month out. While I applaud you for being so on task with your supplements so early out, I wouldn't sweat it. Your doc and nut are concentrating on getting you all healed up on the inside first, before you start putting a bunch of full size tablets and capsules down there. You could get a liquid mineral supplement, if you are really worried about it, but being so early out from surgery, I would doubt if you needed extra potassium or magnesium so soon, if you're taking a good multi twice a day.  
 Having said all that......listen to your doc and nutritionist first. Always, always go by your own lab reports. Everyone is different.
 One final note: magnesium can have quite a laxative effect on you in higher amounts. Also, some people use it to relax and help them sleep.
 Hope this helps!
javelina
on 9/14/08 8:41 am - NE, OH
Thanks, Lyn, I appreciate the info. I think what concerns me is that the docs I used to work with have said there is lit saing that potassium and magnesium probelms show up at about 1-2 months out in a lot of RNY patients.  So I started looking at my intake, and my "good" multi doesn't contain potassium at all, and only 13% RDA of magnesium (Bariatric Advantage complete chewable multi formula with b complex and essential minerals).   I won't sweat it too much -- but with a history of anemia and hypothyroidism I am trying to keep on track... thanks!!

Kate 

Most Active