Sugar

raeanns
on 9/3/08 8:27 pm - Tri-Cities, WA
What should be the guidlines to follow the sugar and low sodium guidlines.  What are the grams that should be in each meal or supplement meals as to not cause dumping?  Is there a general table to follow as to let us know not to go over a certain amount per meal and total for day which is healthy for us who will be having a RNY?

RaeAnn  OH Support Group Leader Tri-Cities, WA meet every 2nd Wednesday each month located 500 Amon Park Dr. Richland, WA 7PM-9PM

Pam T.
on 9/4/08 1:42 am - Saginaw, MI
Each person is different of course but the general rule of thumb for sugar is "single digits"... so 9g per feeding or less. Of course natural sugars are different than refined sugars, and you may be able to tolerate more natural sugar (like in fruits, for instance) than normal white refined sugar.   I personally can tolerate up to about 20g of sugar per sitting, but I have a friend who's limit is about 3g of sugar. 

Also remember that you can dump on other things besides just sugar.  Refined carbohydrates turn into blood sugar (glucose) once it's in your body, so that might cause dumping.  Fats might cause dumping.  It's all a big game of experimentation and no two people are the same.

As for sodium.  My NUT told me to limit my total daily intake to around 2000mg-2500mg per day.

Good luck
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

lizzybear
on 9/4/08 8:41 am - Olympia, WA
Yep, everyone's different - I seriously have to watch sugar alcohols because I dump on those big time - worse than regular sugar or natural sugar.  And anything with over 5-6 grams of fat or 3-4 grams of natural sugar are dumping grounds for me, too!  Fruits - I can eat berries and a small piece of banana, 1/4-1/2 an apple depending on size and suck the juice out of a small orange (never have liked the skins).  I seem to do okay with carbs - at least the "toasted till almost burnt crunchy" whole grain toast I've tried a couple times and a spoonful of mashed potatoes once in a great while (like maybe once every 2 months) - my nut okayed that and told me to melt a teaspoon or so of low-fat cheese in the potatoes for some protein.

Highest 323 / Surgery Day 289 / Current 165 - RNY 10-27-07, Hit Goal 08-18-08. Tummy tuck 10-28-09 - UW Plastic Surgery Residency Ctr, Breast/Arm Lift w/Dr. Sepehr Egrari in Bellevue, WA on 5-22-13!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  Unknown

Most Active